// Expert user has replied.
G Glenn Sobel 3 years 5 months ago
7 5 0

1) Time/Date 10:00am / 02/08/2011

2) Response time

3) Product MC3190

4) OS Version CE6.0

5) Clarify Case # 2310024
have Japanese customer who needs to know root cause.. customer had mc3090 1D scanners did not have a problem .. switched to MC3190 The misreading rate is 5 % (roughly 1 of 20 scans). For example :
The correct value is [H115511 T], however MC3190 sometimes misreads as [+115511 T]. The customer stated their barcode (code 39) was not a great quality but did not have any issue with the MC3090 ..
the customer was told to set "Liner Security Level = All Thrice", which resolved their issue but Account team needs to explain root cause of the issue; differences between the 2 devices.. Both devices use same scan engine SE-950 undecoded. As per ADC, the decoding is handled by the decoding software, not by the scan engine itself. It was requested by Account team for a list of differences of decoding software on the devices. (customer using scansamp2 to test). Please let me know any differences between MC3090 decoders and MC3190 decoders that could have contributed to having the customer set this Linear Security. Any information will be given to the Account team directly and they will  construct any response protecting any confidential information.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

G Glenn Sobel

As per customer. ====================================== Dear Glenn-san, Thank you very much for your prompt support. This customer has been using two following models in the field. They have not experienced the issue. MC3090R-LC28S00GER (BSP27 and 35) -  20-68950-01 SCAN ENGINE:950 UDECODED,CL2,GOLD,PKG MC3090R-LC28S00GJR (BSP27 and 35) - 20-68950-01 SCAN ENGINE:950 UDECODED,CL2,GOLD,PKG They experienced the issue on following new model. They bought three units last month for application development. However they have a plan to order more 60 units in this month. So it is very important to clear the root cause because of business impact. MC3190-RL2S02E0W (BSP17) -58-060145-60 SCAN ENGINE:SE950,20-68950-01,SYMBOL I did scanning test with our demo units, and I could not find any issue on MC3090 (BSP35) via 4,000 scans. Also, I faced the issue 4 times on MC3190 (BSP17) via 4,000 scans. I could not find the issue on MC3190 then the Security-Level is defined to “Thrice”. MC3090 = failure frequency is 0 of 4,000 (Security Level is set to default). MC3190 = failure frequency is 4 of 4,000 (Security Level is set to default). MC3190 = failure frequency is 0 of 4,000 (Security Level is set to ”Thrice”). Security-Level is the best solution for the customer this time, however we have to explain the reason why the MC3090 does not reproduce the issue. I understand that the same scan engine (SE950) and the decoder board are used on MC3090 & MC3190. If no differences on hardware, do you think it depends on the differences of scan driver ? Again, we greatly appreciate your best assistance. Warmest regards, Hideki Kaga. ============================================= Please let me know if I did not answer your question. we need to know  what the difference is in the scan drivers ..

H Hirokazu Haga

Please find out what scan engine on 1) 3090, 2) 3190 because the software driver is different for  different scan engine.

G Glenn Sobel

verified in the bom that both devices use same scan engine SE-950

H Hirokazu Haga

Please read K K Mehaboob-A19441 from ADC explanation for your question.
Linear security is not really security, it’s to do with redundancy. When "Liner Security Level = All Thrice" is set the decoder attempts to decode 3 times, with different scan line or with same scan line with different digitizer, before the decoded data is send to the application. This eliminates the chance of mis-decode, as decoder makes sure the same data is decoded all the three times.

Given below is the explanation of all the linear security levels as mentioned in our EMDK documentation.

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dwLinearSecurityLevel

Describes the linear security level used during decoding. Possible values are:  

SECURITY_REDUNDANCY_AND_LENGTH ( = 0 ) – two times redundancy based on redundancy flags and code length; SECURITY_SHORT_OR_CODABAR ( = 1 ) – two times redundancy if short bar code or CODABAR; SECURITY_ALL_TWICE ( = 2 ) – two times redundancy for all bar codes; SECURITY_LONG_AND_SHORT ( = 3 ) – two times redundancy for long bar codes, three times for short bar codes; SECURITY_ALL_THRICE ( = 4 ) – three times redundancy for all bar codes.

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like to investigate this issue further, please let me know the following version numbers of both MC3190 and mc3090

1)     API version

2)     MDD version

3)     PDD version

4)     Decoder version

All these info can be gather using CtlPanel->Scanner settings->Scanner Version

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks KK

Y Yoseff Zlotnick

Glenn, I will forward your question to the relevent teams (Localization and scanning). If this will required SPR I will update you.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?