Switching TCP/IP connections on MC65 with CRD5500-1000XR

// Expert user has replied.
B Brian Safran 3 years 5 months ago
1 2 0

I have a customer that is planning to use MC65 with Verizon Wan for one particular application. They have 2 apps; 1 uses our ethernet cradle (CRD5500-1000XR) and the other one uses Verizon WAN for connectivity. What utilities or SW is needed to get the MC65 to communicate over Ethernet cradle? Also how about switching between the 2 TCP/IP Ports on the fly? Thanks.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

K Kjell Lloyd

To answer the first question.. just tested a MC65 and the single slot Ethernet cradle you mention. No software is required for the MC65 the obtain an IP address (don't forget to use the "physical" switch to set the cradle into Ethernet/network mode which you find at the bottom of the cradle). To answer the second question you should let the Connection Manager manage the routing of the traffic.  Normally this means Connection Manager will pick the lowest cost in this case it should prioritize USB->Ethernet connection over the WAN connectivity. What you might have to consider and verify if the customer application is utilizing the connection manager and not RASDial or other forced routed connection.. (have seen once a app that could only communicate over the WAN). Hope this helps. regards Kjell

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

Despite the issues you might encounter with MC65's cradles (there are a few SPRs about right now), the thing is how the application communicate, if using hhtp/hhhtps protocols or not. For instance, a Web Service application does. In this case, yes, infamous Connection Manager is used and all lays on it. If another sort of protocol, say FTP, is used, then no, CM is not used. In theory, WM should choose (only with CM) the best way to transmit data through, based on certain "weights", but I heard these were not properly set on our devices -or so. Yet, you can always make a predefined way of connecting, using "My ISP" or "My Work Network" settings and Wifi icon (cards) assignment. Keep in mind that "names" for Work are assumed to be NMB (Microsoft Network) ones, while Internet ones are FQDN (DNS). That's what they meant when thay said "using dots". Very techy indeed! I never tried it but it should work: if you set USB eth card to connect to work, and WAN to internet/My ISP, in theory when addressing a NetBIOS name terminal should try via cradle and when addressing a DNS name it should do via WAN. But this requires the application to be aware of that PLUS the Network admin of your customer having both internal NMB and external DNS names. Messy.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?