Roaming issues on RFS4000

// Expert user has replied.
I Ian Jobson 3 years 5 months ago
4 6 0

All, Has anyone seen roaming problems on RFS4000s with AP650s? A customer has switched from using WS2000 with AP300s where everything has been running fine for a number of years, they have moved to the 4K and now are seeing sessions lost as they move around their restuarant. Nothing has changed on the handhelds or the back end just the wireless infrastructure. I'm waiting for the config file from the customer, I expect its just a setup problem but thought I'd check whether there were any known problems out there. Thanks IJ

Please Register or Login to post a reply

6 Replies

H Henrich Hofbauer

The AP650 supports mimo, 1x1-mimo, mimo-diversity and Primary antenna mode only. So in this case it should rather be mimo-diversity

E Efkan YILMAZ

Hi Henrich, this is somehow true. But if you disable all the N datarates, mimo-diversity will not really do anything different. mimo-diversity will use MIMO for N clients and diversity for legacy devices. Please find attached a nice document describing the antenna options ... Best regards, Angelo

H Henrich Hofbauer

Angelo, This is the document that I had and that's where I got the information from:
Supported Antenna Mode for Models AP650 and AP650H/L

1x1-mimo        MIMO 1x1 uses only antenna A to transmit and receive

mimo            MIMO

mimo-diversity    MIMO Diversity for non-11n transmit rates

primary          Primary Antenna only

Supported Antenna Mode for Models AP300H/L

diversity       Full Diversity (both antennas)

primary         Primary Antenna only

secondary       Secondary Antenna only
You see that diversity is not an option for the AP650. In this case mimo-diversity is "normal" diversity for 802.11n APs and does the same thing as "diversity" on legacy APs

I Ian Jobson

Angelo, Nope its a single RFS4000 per site, with 3 - 4 AP650s physically connected, i.e. no other network switch or PoE in between. We seem to get problems when roaming from 1 AP to another. IJ

E Efkan YILMAZ

Ian, ok, in that case, please configure the AP650 as follows: 802.11bg mode, no 802.11n 15 dBm output max. 1 and 2 MBit/s as basic, 5.5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 as supported. Enable the dynamic chain select and choose as the antenna option "diversity" in the CLI. This will help the "old" b/g radios in the MU to "talk" to the n radio in the AP much better. Best regards, Angelo

E Efkan YILMAZ

Hi Ian, I assume the customer is running more than one RFS4000. In that case, disabling the firewall in the CLI is always very helpful: enable configure terminal no firewall enable write memory Best regards, Angelo

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?