Disabling agent and WLAN

// Expert user has replied.
S Sean Wheatley 3 years 5 months ago
1 3 0

I am staging some MC5574s over WLAN with MSP 3.3.1 When staging is finished I want to disable the agent by using the agent30enable/disable settings object. However I also want to disable WLAN because the devices will be deployed to the field and will operating via WWAN. I have the reg file for disabling the WLAN adapter. The challenge is how to craft a bundle that will kill the agent and WLAN. I know that putting the agent disable setting first in the bundle will cause immediate shutdown. I havent tried it the other way around yet but I assume the reg key has to be merged (to avoid having to do a clean boot) immediately hence the terminal will go offline and will not get to the next steps in the bundle (where it will stop the agent). Is there a way to do this? I was hoping that the agent disable would not happen until the end when the bundle has finished processing all the steps. BTW the customer will be using MSP over WWAN but this is not going to happen yet else I would have simply switched over to using WWAN.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

A Allan Herrod

Sean; It sounds like what you are doing is Staging devices that you don't want to be managed by MSP after Staging is complete.  If so, why are you enabling the Agent in the first place?  If you don't enable the Agent, it will never check-in for Provisioning and won't then need to be disabled.  Is the reason you are enabling the Agent so you can do Smart Staging via Provisioning? Also, if the WLAN Settings are applied as part of the Staging Profile and are not part of t a Bundle, they won't be persistent.  That means that if you end your Staging with a Cold/Clean Boot (depending on OS), the WLAN Settings will go away.  If you put the WWAN Settings in a Bundle, they WILL persist.  And if you never enable the Agent, the device won't be checking in with MSP After the Cold/Clean reboot. Allan

S Sean Wheatley

Many htanks for your replies guys. Yes I am using Smart Staging hence why I was enabling the agent in the first instance. I decided to make the WLAN profile non persistent, adding the agentdisable setting in the last step of the last bundle and finally a manual disable of the WLAN radio for simplicity. I thought about a detached job for doing this but as the customer had to manually touch each device afterwards anyway (for things like Sat Nav license activation) it wasn't necessary. Also we are only doing about 150 units and then they are being recalled shortly and replaced with MC65s when the 2000 unit roll out takes place. Sean.

R Rudra Thakur

Hello
It is not very clear from your explanation that you want to do everything in one step or multiple.
Also let us know whether you want it to do through staging or provisioning.

One way to do this would be through provisioning as follows:

Let us assume that you have your device staged in MSP. You can achieve the desired result if you use detached condition feature and include it in a policy. Using this feature the download of the job will happen but the install will only happen once the conditions are met. So if the download of the job has happened on the device, for the install to happen the device does not require connectivity.

1.       Create a policy for the device with a detached condition to download the bundle (containing the agent disable settings, containing the package to disable the WLAN) on the device not meeting the detached condition.
2.       With the two packages on the device the detached condition could be triggered in the order – first disable WLAN later exit the agent.

Also if you disable the agent the only way to enable it would be through restaging the device which would have gone to production. Do you really want to restage at a later point in time when you want to use MSP over WWAN?

Let me know more details so that I could help you with better solution.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?