MC55A, QVGA & Healthcare Apps?

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 7 0

Over the past couple months, we've run into a couple MC55A opportunities where the customer software being used still had not been ported for VGA support.  In both cases, these were hospitals, whose software provider (different in each case) still had not committed to supporting VGA screen sizes.  In the most recent case, we’ve also heard that Honeywell offers an OS switch to go between VGA and QVGA (potentially locking us out of even being able to compete).

I was just curious if anyone else had noticed a similar trend here...? 

While I know the “right” way to do this is to get the application updated with VGA support, it appears our competitors may be locking us out by not requiring software vendors to get their applications updated…

Please Register or Login to post a reply

7 Replies

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

If one single SW vendor happened to leverage the power of full VGA, this would set the situation upside down. Imagine seeing a CAT or a NMR on the display! Unfortunately, QVGA seems to be enough and therefore using VGA would "waste" pixels. This is really stopping SW evolution!

R Richard Baker

The MC75A HC running WM 6.5.2 is certified on with the Cerner System. The MC75A / MC55A running WM 6.5.3 will not be certified until 2012. Due to the change in the GUI that Microsoft implemented between WM 6.5.2 and 6.5.3, the Cerner application needs to be re-coded to adjust for the change in screen positioning and the implementation of bubble tiles. The MCD BU has committed to keeping the MC75A HC at the current O/S revision until the end of 2011 to support the Cerner application that currently runs on a WM VGA device. Rick Baker

D Daniel Teeters

At the last Vendor Fair;  Honeywell was the perfered product because of our VGA screen. The nurses actually liked our product better, but was told my management to vote for the Honeywell. The Honeywell rep, was very confident he was going to get the deal.

W William Perryman

Have the same issue with OSF in Illinois on a large referesh of MC70 devices. Trying to finish their minimum requirement for older devices this year in order to wait out Epic on their slowness to move forward in updating their product also.....;-( Bill Perryman

G Glenn Sayer

If your customer using Epic?  They have committed to one of my customers that they will have the QVGA code available for their version 2009 Mobile Meds within the next couple of months.

Have your customers push on Epic as they know they need to get this done and already have it on their roadmap.

R Robbie Wisniewski

I have a customer who has selected Cerner Medical Systems in their Point of Care Rollout. Cerner is trying to not allow the MC55 at a device fair which will be the basis of the hardware selection in May. Cerner has a great relationship with Honeywell. We continue to hear of Honeywell pushing their QVGA/VGA capabilities.

E Efkan YILMAZ

Yes. We had two healthcare locations that are currently using MC70s and MC5590s and would like to refresh their devices and we are proposing the MC55A0-HC, but because the software vendor is not going to port their application to support VGA until 2012, we are in last place against the CN50 and one of Honeywell's device.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?