8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2017 6:58 AM by Gabrio Girardi

[LINKOS] Code samples for cross-platform tools?

Chris Misztur

Zebra:  it would be awesome if you were able to provide working example projects for iOS/Android/WP built from the following tool chains:

- Unity (I will gladly provide you with a working Unity package )

- Rho (I can attempt this one as well)

- Xamarin

- Phonegap

- Appcelerator

From a developer perspective your LinkOS SDK webpage is weak. 

Showcase your SDK with direct links to "Get started with ... (unity/rho/xamarin/phonegap/appcelerator)"!

-chris

• Re: [LINKOS] Code samples for cross-platform tools?
          Robin West

Hi Chris,

This is great feedback.  Very timely too. 

There is a code snippet on Launchpad to print from Xamarin here by Ignacio Machin (about halfway down the discussion posts).  We are currently working on updating our documentation and website as well, so these are good ideas.  If you have packages or code for printing with some of these tools, I encourage you or anyone else to post them here or provide a link to it on GitHub or someplace like that.  If you have a tool you’d prefer us to focus on next, after Rho, please reply to this as well. 

If you are planning on attending the Motorola APPFORUM next week, I’ll be doing a breakout session where I’ll be showing how to use Rho to code printing activities.  I’ll be posting the package on Launchpad as well afterwards.

Robin West

Hi Everyone,

Our newest Link-OS SDK now has a Xamarin Component for Android, iOS, and Forms development.  Check it out.

Will keep everyone informed as we add new cross platform API's.

Robin

Gabrio Girardi

Hi, did you managed a plugin for Unity for Android version?

Thanks in advance.

Robin West

Hi Gabrio,

We have not, just Xamarin. We almost never get it requested because Unity is primarily for games and our printers are primarily for businesses.  Do you mind sharing your use case so we can better asses the need?

Robin

Gabrio Girardi

Hi, yes, unity is a game engine, but I use it for almost all my business because it's very flexible and easy to use for cross platform export.

In this particular case I have to create a mobile application to acquire data from nfc sensors, use the mobile sensors (accelerometer, compass,..), have 3d graphics environment and something else. But a feature that I've to develop is to let the user to print the code red from the nfc to plastic labels. And I've focused that printer on the Zebra mobile Bluetooth printer (

ZEBRA - ZEBRA QLN420, USB, RS232, BT, NFC, 8 DOTS/MM (203 DPI), RTC, DISPLAY, EPL,

ZPL, CPCL)

So for me would be very useful have a library for the printer that let me connect to the printer and sent an image or something else to send to print.

If you need more information I would be glad to tell you more about it

Robin West

Hi Gabrio, Thanks for sharing and making such aware apps for your customers. 

Unfortunately I can't run the free version of Unity because of their licensing rules so I am having a hard time trying to test anything.  My first idea was to try and see if any of the Xamarin libraries could be used in a Unity app.  The plugin we created for Xamarin has a number of libraries embedded that may work. 

If that doesn't work then I'm afraid you might have to create your own plug-in.  You can use our native SDKs.  Normally I would also recommend looking at standard Bluetooth libraries available because we're not doing anything proprietary other than the print control language, but a quick look at the Unity Asset Store and I'm convinced Unity developers are being ripped off - by each other. 

I will take this to our product team, but, as I mentioned, it's not a common request at this point.

Gabrio Girardi

Thanks for you reply, the best solution I think is to develop an android library that expose some functions using the native SDK.

About unity is strange that you are not able to run it, because now the 2017.1 version is free for everyone. Btw, I'll try to do something following this documentation
                              Unity - Manual: Building Plugins for Android

My problem is that I can't try it because I don't have the printer. An I will not buy it if I'll not be able to send something to the printer.

If I'll be able to print using Unity and the SDK, I could have at least 5 to 10 clients that will use my App and buy your printer.

I hope we can found a solution together.

I can suggest two options:
                              - send me a printer to develop some test an I'll try to do the library myself and when I finish the test I can send you back the printer (or buy it for one of my clients)

- you can do the library and release a unity package

Is one of this option realizable?

Thanks again for your support.