datawedge not firing scanner on MC40, MC32 android with delphi app

A partner has developped an application with Delphi for android and datawedge does not fire scanner when pressing the scan buttons.

Datawedge works well with any native application like email, contacts...

the partner app is very simple with only one input field.

We have tried to configure and use intents with no results. with default profile or a new profile

apk file is attached.

I tried with  MC40 and MC32N0

What may be wrong , or how to workaround this issue please ?

Anonymous (not verified)
In Datawedge, enable Profile0

In Datawedge, enable Profile0.  This allows datawedge to place scanned data into any selected text field.

I loaded the attached APK, selected the first text field and scanned a barcode. Datawedge worked as expected.

UPDATE: As Pietro pointed out below, this test was performed on a TC55, not on an MC40.  There still seems to be and issue with fireMonkey apps and datawedge on MC40.

datawedge_success.png

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Bill,which device have you

Bill,

which device have you tested?

If I test this on an MC40 it does not works for me. Testing on a TC55KK, it works.

On the MC40, without changing anything, if I go to the browser I can scan a barcode, inside this app, the barcode reader is not turning on.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Pietro, I tested on the

Pietro,

I tested on the TC55KK

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Given your screenshot I knew

Given your screenshot I knew it was not an MC40 ;-)

Can you test on an MC40 or an MC32 and mark this thread as not resolved?

Don't know why but this simple app build with fireMonkey is not working correctly with DataWedge.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pavel Machala
I can't see it working in any

I can't see it working in any JB device we have.

Can you share the project itself, that we can review the code.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marie Chmelíková
Our company has the same

Our company has the same problem. On the MC3200 device does not start with a barcode reader. This problem occurs only in Delphi applications. To test you can give a simple application. After a correct setting datawedge and then run the application can not run a barcode reader. The reader does not react to hardware buttons. The same program and settings on the TC70 is fully functional! Thank you for your response.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pavel Machala
Hello Marie,I made my own

Hello Marie,

I made my own Delphi XE7 application and I can confirm the HW trigger doesn’t work in all JB devices we have. However I can see that implementing SW trigger you can enable scanner and capture data which means that there is some issue with input service. According the logs I captured the Trigger keycode is not passed to scanning service (outside of Delphi XE7 app) at all hence there is no response from device on key press. I would advise to reach Delphi XE7 owner for more information how are the key presses processed by such application in compare with native android application. I am not familiar with this framework but there might be an option how to dispatch key presses to OS for lower level applications.

As a workaround it should be possible to capture the trigger within the application and then toggle on/off scanner following keydown/keyup events.

Code to toggle on/off scanner

var

i: JIntent;

begin

i := TJIntent.JavaClass.init;

i.setAction(StringToJString('com.motorolasolutions.emdk.datawedge.api.ACTION_SOFTSCANTRIGGER'));

i.putExtra(StringToJString('com.motorolasolutions.emdk.datawedge.api.EXTRA_PARAMETER'), StringtoJString('TOGGLE_SCANNING'));

1. SharedActivity.sendBroadcast(i);

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marie Chmelíková
Thank you for the quick

Thank you for the quick response! I am glad, that you also found this bug. On the web portal.motorolasolutions.com I found a new version OS for this device. Part of the new update, is application Datawedge version 2.2.7. Currently is in the device factory OS version with Datawedge 1.7.x. Once I have available for download a new version, updating OS and run test the scanner using the hardware buttons. Maybe is this a bug, that is already in the new version removed. On TC70 device working all correctly. Tomorrow will perform tests using a barcode reader Intent and if this method to work, it would be great temporary solution. Thank you solve this problem.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pavel Machala
Hi Marie,as you correctly

Hi Marie,

as you correctly mention TC70 and our TC55 KK work. The issue seems to be related to JB implementation. It might be also something in ScanningService which picks up the key events. However the true is also that all android apps using SDK written in Java doesn't have this issue so it might be the Delphi XE7 framework as mentioned earlier. We still investigate whether there is something what can be done on OS side.
I'll update this post once we have more information.

BR
Pavel

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dirk Janssens
I have the exact same problem

I have the exact same problem with my MC3200 scanner.

I hope it will be solved, because this way the scanner is totally useless for me.

kind regards,

Dirk Janssens.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Khai-Van Phu
Hi All,Enterprise Browser v1

Hi All,

Enterprise Browser v1.1 has been released for Symbol devices. I can read in the release notes it has support for MC3200 Android KitKat. See Enterprise Browser

Capture.JPG

Does someone know when KK will be available for MC3200?

Upgrading MC32 from JB to KK will make any apps written in Delphi XE7 compatible with DataWedge.

Khai-Van PHU

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pavel Machala
Hello Khai-Van PHU,I

Hello Khai-Van PHU,

I apologize for confusion that is indeed mistake in release notes. KK for MC3200 will not be available in 2015. The release notes suppose to refer to Android 4.1 JB.

We'll update the release notes with correct version.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Khai-Van Phu
Hi Pavel,I know that you are

Hi Pavel,

I know that you are working on Android v4.1's DataWedge issue seen with Delphi XE7 apps.

Do you think there is a chance to have a modified version of DataWedge to correct this issue?

Khai-Van PHU

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pavel Machala
Hi Khai-Van PHU,the most

Hi Khai-Van PHU,

the most probably the issue is in JB itself not in datawedge. Anyway the issue is being analyzed by our engineering team and once we'll have the fix we'll release it at the support web page.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dirk Janssens
Can you please also report

Can you please also report the fix in this group, (so we will automaticly get an email when it is released) ?

thx!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Khai-Van Phu
Hi Pavel,We have some MC32's

Hi Pavel,

We have some MC32's sales on hold because of Android v4.1's DataWedge issue with Delphi XE7 apps. Please keep us update asap.

Thank you for your support.

Khai-Van PHU

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dirk Janssens
Hello,I have found a

Hello,

I have found a workaround. Maybe it can help (to find a solution) ?

I installed The TDBF-Components, and put one TDPFJEditText on the form.

If this component has focus, the scanner works.

You can find the components  on :

TDbf web page

Dirk Janssens.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Khai-Van Phu
Hello Dirk,Thanks for sharing

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for sharing. Let me have a try. Let you know.

Khai-Van

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jordi Ramiro
HiHow can you install the

Hi

How can you install the TDBF-Components into XE7 IDE?

The major version available is for Delphi2006 (March 2007),

I try to compile the component in my XE6 IDE and a lot of errors appears.

Thanks

Jordi

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’