RhoMobile General Questions?

// Expert user has replied.
T Tudor Hofnar 3 years ago
1 1 0

Hi

We have tried sending multiple emails to sales@rhomobile.com to get some answers about RhoMobile but have received no replies . Figured we would post here and maybe some of the community members can help...

We currently have some barcode scanning apps that run on both Motorola (e.g. MC55N0) and Intermec (e.g. CN3/7) devices which insert data into a SQL database. Our apps currently use MCL-Net for this purpose, however, we would like to remove our dependency on MCL-Net. Our plan is to build an HTML5/JavaScript app that consumes web services to insert data into a SQL database.

We have several questions for you:

We understand that developers must pay either $0, $299 or $999/month for a developer license, however, what about our customers who purchase the apps? For example, is there a RhoMobile runtime license fee that our customers must pay to use the app?
Can RhoMobile apps consume web services?
If RhoMobile apps can consume web services, can they consume web services that require NTLM authentication? If yes, does RhoMobile include NTLM authentication code or do we need to implement it ourselves?
Once we deploy our apps, would Android and iPhone users download the apps from RhoGallery or from their respective app stores (e.g. Google Play, Apple App Store)? If they must download from the respective app stores, does that mean we need an account with the app stores and they must approve the apps before they can be distributed?
Are you available for an online meeting so that you can provide a demonstration of RhoMobile? For example building, packaging and deploying a sample app.
Do RhoMobile apps run on Intermec devices without us having to write any extra Intermec specific code?

Thanks for any help!

Please register or login to post a reply

1 Replies

R Robert Galvin

Tudor

Thanks for the heads up on the email. I will forward on to the correct people that are monitoring that email address. Apologies for no response, but I will do my best in answering your questions.

1)We understand that developers must pay either $0, $299 or $999/month for a developer license, however, what about our customers who purchase the apps? For example, is there a RhoMobile runtime license fee that our customers must pay to use the app?

The license is just for developers. Your customers do not need to purchase a license.

2) Can RhoMobile apps consume web services?

- Yes, at the end of the day, the application either uses JavaScript or Ruby for it's logic. It is essentially a 'web app' running in a native container.

3) If RhoMobile apps can consume web services, can they consume web services that require NTLM authentication? If yes, does RhoMobile include NTLM authentication code or do we need to implement it ourselves?

- I am not sure of the answer to this question. I think it will be tricky using JavaScriot from what I read. You may be better off using a Ruby library -

4) Once we deploy our apps, would Android and iPhone users download the apps from RhoGallery or from their respective app stores (e.g. Google Play, Apple App Store)? If they must download from the respective app stores, does that mean we need an account with the app stores and they must approve the apps before they can be distributed?

- It depends on how you want to distrubute. When you build an app it essentially creates the CAB (WIndowsMobile/CE) , APK (Android), .IPA (iOS) file. You look into these choices and see what is best for your scenario

5) Are you available for an online meeting so that you can provide a demonstration of RhoMobile? For example building, packaging and deploying a sample app.

- You may want to look at some of the webinars we did in the pastr on this, as well as docs.rhombile.com for some tutorials. I also am looking to see if there is a local rep in your area that can help.

6) Do RhoMobile apps run on Intermec devices without us having to write any extra Intermec specific code?

-You should check the API matrix on docs.rhomobile.com - Each API will indicate what platform they are supported on.  A note of warning is that some of them indicate they are only for Zebra devices only. For example Barcode will work on WinMo/CE Zebra devices but will not be able to use the barcode scanner on the Intermec Device. You would have to write a native extension for that.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?