Weblink Documentation

Hello.

I can't seem to find the documentation that goes in depth into the Weblink message exchange.  Can you help me find it?

I am planning to either use .NET or JAVA to host my own Websocket server.

Thanks

Chris

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Chris, were you looking

Hi Chris, were you looking for the websocket handshaking, or the data message API? If you plan to use Java, you can easily use our weblink servlet with the PC SDK. I'll dig up more documentation on this outside the SDK.

For .NET, you have to create your own websocket server to take connections from the printers. Websockets are now fairly standard and .NET does have built in libraries for it as well as several 3rd party Libraries. I use the 3rd party stuff right now myself.

The printers use standards for secure websocket connections. Once you have the handshaking and websocket connection, you can bidirectionally send and receive raw data just like TCP. We do recommend you use the JSON based communication for getting status and settings of the printer.

Hope this helps, Robin West

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Misztur
Hi.The messaging API is what

Hi.

The messaging API is what interests me.

Could you share a .NET example?

/c

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Chris, I apologize. It

Hi Chris, I apologize. It will take us a couple of days to dig something up. The JSON API's are in the newest ZPL manual in one of the appendixes on SetGetDo commands. I'm traveling so I'll send a page number when I get access to it again.

Robin West

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Misztur
Oh ok.  I see what you mean. 

Oh ok.  I see what you mean. 

Regarding the upcoming webinar on May 11, I am still interested in an end-to-end example.

/c

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Richards
Hi,Any update on the Weblink

Hi,

Any update on the Weblink documentation or sample app? I'm looking at implementing a weblink enabled application in Ruby on Rails.

Thanks,

Chris

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert McNicol
Hey Robin,Any follow up on

Hey Robin,

Any follow up on the page # in the docs? I'll add my interest and another environment, its node for me.

Thanks

Rob

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Chris, Chris, and Robert, 

Hi Chris, Chris, and Robert,  As an update, we are in the final proofreading of a new document.  It will cover generically how to set up a standard websocket server to support communication with our printers.  It will not cover specifics of how to do it in specific environments and languages.  We're assuming you know your server language and have access to standard websocket API's or libraries. We'll post the final document once it's ready, but it shouldn't be more then a week.   I am working on a sample app in .NET, but it may take a little longer, I'm traveling a lot lately. 

Robin

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert McNicol
Thanks for the update! The

Thanks for the update! The news of better documentation is awesome.

Rob

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Richards
Great news Robin! If you want

Great news Robin! If you want to put something up on GitHub I'd be happy to contribute, .Net, Rails or Node!

Chris

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Daniel Quagliana
Chris and Rob,I just

Chris and Rob,

I just published the paper Weblink WebSocket Endpoint Configuration Robin wrote.  Please let us know if it addresses your needs and give us feedback to help enrich it.

Thank you,

Dan

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert McNicol
Thanks Dan,Had a quick look

Thanks Dan,

Had a quick look through and it seems to be the ticket. It still mentions that we need to get a certificate signed by Zebra. Is there a way that we can install our own CA certificate on the printer and sidestep the Zebra Cert requirement?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Daniel Quagliana
Rob,At this time all certs

Rob,

At this time all certs need to go through Zebra.  Robin and I can talk to product management to see if they are open to alternatives.  Sorry it isn't the answer you were looking for.

Dan

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert McNicol
Hey Robin,On a related topic

Hey Robin,

On a related topic (Not trying to hijack the thread), weblink requires secure sockets (If I understand the old docs correctly) which requires us to send a certificate request to Zebra. Can we not install our own root certificate on the printer? That way we can invalidate old certificates and issue new ones and keep on printing.

Is this possible?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’