Start programming

Good morning,

I would like to begin to develop an Android application that allows me to print labels on Zebra printers.

I have access to a printer RW420 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 10.1 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

My questions are: Can I develop Android applications to print with the RW420?

Can I print codes ean 128 programmatically?

Can I connect via bluetooth the RW420 with these tablets?

I tried to connect via bluetooth to my tablets, but after entering the key displays the following message: "Unable to communicate with ...".

I also tried using the apps Print Station and Zebra Utilities, but not allow me to connect to.

Thank you.

Anonymous (not verified)
Good Morning,The answer to

Good Morning,

The answer to all your questions is yes, if you have everything set up right.  First, and I hate to ask, can you verify Bluetooth is turned on on your Galaxy Tab and Note?   Next I would check is if your RW420 printer has a Bluetooth radio.  Not all of them come with it.  Can you reply with the P/N number on the underside of the printer or printing a 2-Key report by holding the feed button for 5 seconds while powering the printer on. The number should start with "R4D-...". These should tell me which radio is on your printer. 

Can you try pairing from the Android Settings?  Then use the Zebra utilities app to find it again and print.  If this doesn't work, there are a few things to try. Please let me know.

Robin

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Daniele Martignago
First of all I wanted to

First of all I wanted to thank you for the answer, and to apologize for my bad English.

Yes the bluetooth on tablet is activated ;-)

The part number of the printer is: R4D-0UBA000E-00.

I have connected this printer successfully on two Windows Mobile devices (6.5.3 and Windows Mobile 5).

The difference I found with the windows mobile devices is that when asked the pairing, I press the next button without typing the key (picture 1), and then is the printer that requires pairing (picture 2).

Then I insert the key and the printer is connected.

When I try to make pairing from Android Settings I find the printer through available devices, then I select it, it ask me the key, I insert (0000) and after a few seconds it shows me this message "unable to communicate with XXRCJ .... "

So the printer is not paired,

If I use the Zebra utilities app, i find the printer, I select it, but when I try to print something the tablet ask me to pair the device...

Thank you for your help.

Daniele

pairing.bmp

windows mobile.bmp

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Daniele,I think the

Hi Daniele,

I think the Bluetooth version running on the printer and Android device will require you to set up a pin on the printer.  We've run into this sort of issue a few times where the printer pin is not optional and it's due to Android's differing interpretation of older Bluetooth standards.  To set up a pin, install Zebra Setup Utilities on a PC.  Connect the printer to your PC over USB and go through the Setup Connectivity Wizard in the Utility to set a Bluetooth pin.  It can be 0000 if you want, but it can't be blank due to the issue you are having.  Then try pairing the way you did before.

Let me know,

Robin

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Daniele Martignago
Hi Robin,I installed the

Hi Robin,

I installed the Zebra Setup Utilities on my PC, I set a different pin on the printer, but the problem remains.

After entering the pin on the device and confirmed it shows a message of a communication error with the printer

I can not insert a blank pin because the Samsung tablet can not match a device without entering a pin (first picture).

The other attached images are about messages by Zebra Utilities.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,

Daniele

device-2015-09-01-084236.png

device-2015-09-01-084723.png

device-2015-09-01-084743.png

device-2015-09-01-084817.png

device-2015-09-01-084844.png

device-2015-09-01-085011.png

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Daniele,Which version of

Hi Daniele,

Which version of Android are you using?

Thanks, Robin

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Daniele Martignago
Hi Robin, i use Android 4.4.2

Hi Robin,

i use Android 4.4.2 on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and Samsung Galaxy Note (2014 version).

I also tried a smartphone Xiaomi Redmi 2 with Android 4.4.4 but with the same pairing problem.

Thanks, Daniele

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Manuel Caicedo-...
Hi Daniele,Please, could you

Hi Daniele,

Please, could you open your Zebra Setup Utilities app, then choose the driver of the RW420 as the pic shows below.

2015_09_29_14_58_51_Zebra_Setup_Utilities.png

Please, open Communication With Printer. Then,  send the command shown below

! U1 setvar "bluetooth.bluetooth_pin"  "1234" , and click on "Send To Printer"

2015_09_29_15_02_01_Direct_Communication_ZDesigner_RW_420_CPCL_.png

Please, try to connect your printer and pair it with "1234".

Also, please, could you let us the version of the firmware of your printer. You can get this info with the 2-Key report. 

You can check the versions of these printers on the link below.

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/mobile/rw-420.html#mainpartabscontainer=firmware-servicepacks

Please, update the version of your printer if this is not done already.

Thanks,

Manuel Caicedo

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Daniele Martignago
Hi Manuel, I'll try as soon

Hi Manuel,

I'll try as soon as possible.

The firmware version is: S39031 - Software: SHCRW11z62

Thanks.