12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 7:51 AM by Pietro Francesco Maggi

How do I use RhoElements without a subscription?

Zach Curtis

Does anyone know if I can in fact build a RhoMobile application with RhoElements usage without paying for the developer license? I emailed Rho to clarify and I was told repeatedly that you DO NOT need to pay the Silver or Gold plan to build a mobile application with RhoElements support at all. Everything I read on every RhoMobile site tells me differently, and when I attempt to actually build the application, I get an error telling me I must upgrade my plan (I currently have a free plan). Rho email support even for sales is unhelpful and I was told to ask the community (Rho cannot tell me how to build a RhoElements enabled app without paying, which tells me using Rho at all is a mistake).

Can anyone answer definitively how to accomplish (or point to documentation) on how to setup a Rho development environment on Windows or Mac to build a Windows Mobile application WITH RhoElements without paying the $300 / month / developer?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: How do I use RhoElements without a subscription?
          Mark Nongkhlaw

As I understand it, Rho including RhoElements has gone open source from versions above 5.4. Maybe you're still on Zebra version (<=5.4).

Heads up :

Zebra Support needs to be more specific in their responses.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Zach Curtis

Ah OK. I was thinking that was the case but when I download RhoStudio it is

only 5.4. I looked at the github repos and if I build from source it is

tagged 5.4.0 as well. Maybe the next version is not out yet?

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Mark Nongkhlaw <

Mark Nongkhlaw

I've also yet to build from open source as I haven't found a need for RhoElements yet, so I can't say for sure. But I think you should be able to if you're really using the open source version. Did you uninstall the 5.4 version first?

Sent from my Windows Phone

Zach Curtis

Yes I did uninstall it first. We are going to try to build from source

again today, but we get hung up on the Visual Studio 2008 requirement. It

is deprecated and is not available for purchase so RhoMobile may no longer

be an option. I have never in my 17+ years in development seen such a

complicated development environment to setup.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Mark Nongkhlaw <

Mark Nongkhlaw

Hmm. Sounds like you're trying to build for Windows Mobile/CE which is also going to RIP

Zach Curtis

Yes you are right, we are building for Windows Mobile/CE. Microsoft says

CE/Mobile is deprecated, but Zebra has not caught on. The devices our

clients use are all brand new Workabout Pro 4's from Zebra which only come

with Windows CE on them. Unreal. We are working now to talk people out of

Zebra moving forward so we do not face the same situation.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Mark Nongkhlaw <

Mark Nongkhlaw

Yeah. Don't know how much processing power and memory these devices have, but I did try out RhoElements on Windows Mobile 6.x consumer devices in the distant past. I remember how my app changed dramatically to sexy lookin but unfortunately became so slow due to the embedded proprietary webkit engine which seemingly ate up the device memory, rendering the app unusable, though good lookin. From then on, I decided to go without RhoElements for such devices. For me functionality is more important. But of course, you'd need to go with Ruby only in that case.

Zach Curtis

Interesting and good information to know!

RFID, barcode scanning, and bluetooth is the core of our application so

RhoElements is a must. At this point I am at a loss on using RhoMobile

since they refuse to help, and nobody else can provide any insight on this

post. Terrible they are the only game in town for cross-platform that

includes Windows Mobile.

I do appreciate your insights Mark.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Mark Nongkhlaw <

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Curtis,

few things to try to clarify the current situation:

1. The rugged market installed base is still largely Windows CE/Windows Embedded Handheld. Zebra is the technology leader in this space and we are working to move the market to new modern operative System with more than 10 Android device models released since 2011.
                                      2. The only official environment "available" for development on Windows CE/Windows Embedded Handheld is Visual Studio 2008 that now Microsoft makes available only inside the MSDN subscription
                                      3. Zebra still sell RhoMobile subscription that are required to use RhoElements in the current released version (v5.4) you can buy Silver and Gold subscriptions and get access to RhoHub build server (so you don't need Visual Studio 2008), and RhoConnect hosting solution, plus being able to build Windows CE/Windows Embedded Handheld apps.

Said that, next RhoMobile release will be opensource, you can already take the source on github and work with that however, initially, there'll be no Windows CE/Windows Embedded Handheld support in the opensource version.

Tau Technologies, one of the company with commit right to the repository, is planning to add back the support (they need to swap the current webkit implementation with a new one).

You can get more information about this looking on their website: http://tau-technologies.com/ they plan to release the first official opensource build next month.

A last note, you wrote that you're targeting WAP4 devices. Just keep in mind that WAP4 are not currently supported by RhoMobile v5.4, as you can see from the release notes:

RhoMobile Suite

I can understand that the current situation looks a bit confusing, but there's a plan moving forward for RhoMobile linked to Tau Technologies, and Zebra is moving very fast to transition the whole rugged market from legacy Windows Embedded devices to new OS (Android, and Windows 10 IoT Mobile Enterprise).

Last note, we've another solution available to support web technologies on the legacy windows devices (including WAP4 Windows CE 6.0) that is our Enterprise Browser:

Enterprise Browser

Feel free to reach out to me if you need additional information.

Ciao

~Pietro

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                          Mark Nongkhlaw

Hey, thanks Pietro for chipping in. I for one am enlightened. Really.

Just a request: Can there be a separate open source discussion forum where we could discuss on the open source version outside of Launchpad? Its kinda getting confused here which is Zebra discussion and which is open source...not sure why Zebra is still holding on to Launchpad for open source Rho discussions...

Sent from my Windows Phone

Zach Curtis

Pietro,

Thank you so much for the helpful information! That is much more clear. I

will look through the links you send and analyze where to go from here.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Pietro Maggi <

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Zach,

I've been involved in a couple of projects on the WAP4 and we've been able to do what was needed using Enterprise Browser and the RFID Wedge application that is available for the WAP4.

In this case you have the possibility to configure EB with an internal HTTP server on the device and serve from there your app, or use a remote HTTP server and work using HTML5 App Cache to be able to work when the server is not reachable.

You can then use the tool you want to generate a HTML+JavaScript+CSS app. I've seen solution built with not much overhead and solutions built with Java and GWT (Google Web Toolkit). At the end you need to understand the constraints of the platform you're targeting, in terms of memory handling, GPU acceleration (better say, "lack of...") and network management (by default you usually don;t have an IP when you get back from suspend mode, some WinCE devices requires 5-7s to get a valid IP and if you try to connect to a server you get a bad link error).

Another last note.

Windows CE and Windows Handheld are a professional only market at this moment, and Enterprise Browser, as most (all?) the tools for these OS requires a license.

Tau plan to release an open source support for Windows CE sometimes in the future, but is better you reach out to them to understand the details.

~Pietro