Ok, so the correct path is <parm name="TargetPathAndFileName" value="/enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/autoimport/datawedge.db" />
If I push it via adb, it works.
But via a StageNow profile somehow it does not work.
Here is part of the StageNow XML:
<characteristic version="0.6" type="FileMgr">
<parm name="FileAction" value="1" />
<parm name="TargetAccessMethod" value="2" />
<parm name="TargetPathAndFileName" value="/enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/autoimport/datawedge.db" />
<parm name="SourceAccessMethod" value="1" />
<parm name="SourceURI" value="ftp-p://user:email@example.com:2121/datawedgeTC55v2.db" />
I have an internal FTP, I check the logs, the file is downloaded in the staging part.
I think the issue is something to do with the naming convention of the file being imported by datawedge application.
Datawedge application expects the db file in the below naming format to import it successfully.
<profilename> to be replaced with actual profile name inside the db file.
For eg: Lets say StageNow application want to access datawedge with its own db file profile which has profile name as SN. Then the datawedge profile file name to be imported should be in the following format
I hope this should resolve your issue.
do you see the file on the device when you send it through Stagenow?
it could be an issue linked to the file permissions; if Datawedge (and all other applications) cannot read the file, DW cannot import the file.
Take a look at TC55 Integrator Guide for a complete explanation on how to autoimport profiles in DataWedge:
DataWedge supports remote deployment of a configuration to a device, using tools such as MSP. DataWedge
monitors the /enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/autoimport folder for the DataWedge
configuration file (datawedge.db) or a profile file (dwprofile_x.db). When DataWedge launches it checks
the folder. If a configuration or profile file is found, it imports the file to replace any existing configuration or profile.
Once the file has been imported it is deleted from the folder.
I for example have tried to copy datawedge.db to mentioned folder but DataWedge did not autoimport it.. I had to restart the TC(55,75,8000) and after restart it was imported
I'm having the same issue with a TC8000 where the datawedge.db does not seem to be recognized. I've tried rebooting the TC8000 to see if that work but no luck.
Like everyone else, I can copy my datawedge.db file to a different folder and import it without a problem...but the /enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/autoimport doesn't seem to work.
I am having the same issue with the TC8000.
Let me know if you've figured anything out.
I tried it on a TC8000, and it worked for me. My device is running Build number 01-23257-K-01-71-00-MV. Make sure you are using a datawedge.db file that was created with the same version of DataWedge that you have on the device. I have seen instances where an old datawedge.db will not work on a newer version of DW. I think the schema of the DW database has changed at some points along the way. Also, if you are copying it in from somewhere that might take some time, what I try to do is copy it to a temporary location first (like maybe /enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/), then once it is there, move it to the autoimport folder. That way datawedge will not try to read the file before it has been completely copied.
Thanks, I'm running the Lollipop build 01-22-06-l-00-A. I think that's the problem. I did use a DW file I created with the same build, so that should be good. Manually importing works fine, it's just the Auto Import I can't seem to get working.
Bit late answer - If I'm correct it's because of the datawege.db file permissions we are copying - after restart permissions are changed and DataWedge can import the file. But I don't know how to change the permissions via StageNow or SOTI