5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 2:28 AM by Pietro Francesco Maggi

How to disable and hide the navbar and statusbar on MC18?

Erik Hellman

Hi,

As I understand it should be possible to completely disable and hide both the statusbar and navbar when running on Android on the MC18. However, I can't find any documentation on how to do this and when I Google I found this; Toggling MC18 Navigation (and Status) Bar visible state  · Pietro F. Maggi, but this doesn't seem to have any effect.

Can you please enlighten me on if this is feasible or not and if so, how to do it correctly?

Thanks,

Erik

• Re: How to disable and hide the navbar and statusbar on MC18?
          Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Erik,

some information are available in the new BSPs release notes, but MC18's Integrator Guide and User Guides have not yet been updated with the new information.

This is why I put together that short page after spending some time collecting the bits and pieces of information on how to have it working,

~Pietro

Erik Hellman

Hi Pietro,

Thanks for the update. Does this mean it is possible to completely disable the navbar and statusbar on the MC18? The reason I'm asking is that it affects the overall design of our applications and we need to take any such limitations into consideration.

Cheers,

Erik

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Erik,

As I wrote in my notes, you can work in an "Immersive Mode" (with no navigation an status bar) with the user having no way to get them back, as it is normally with the standard Android's Immersive mode.

Keep in mind that this is something that you can enable/disable from the app using an Intent or modifying on the fly the XML file and it's usually by design in your app.

It really depends if you want a kiosk mode app (end-user facing), in this case this functionality is quite handy, and yes, it changes your view size and geometry so it's probably something you want to consider during the design of your UI.

~Pietro

Erik Hellman

Yes, I'm well aware of "Immersive mode" but that doesn't disable the appbar and statusbar, only hides them but lets the user show them again with a top/bottom swipe gesture. This is not sufficient. I'm looking for what you call "Kiosk mode" on the MC18. We want to completely disable the back, home and task switch buttons in the navbar (as well as the power button). Preferably programmatically, but if it is only possible through some other means (e.g. ,placing a certain file somewhere on the filesystem) that would be acceptable. The same thing with the statusbar. A user should not be able to display it in any way. Alternatively, it should but be possible to expand it (i.e., drag down).

Is this possible on the MC18? Your notes are not clear on this.

Cheers,

Erik

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Erik,

sorry if this is not clear from the blog post... Yes, on MC18 it's absolutely possible to hide and disable navigation bar and status bar with no way for the user to re-enable it through gestures or swipes.

As I wrote:

MC18 Android supports natively a setup to hide both Status and Navigation bar making much more easy to lock a user inside a single application.

This setup can be activated using an XML or using an Intent.

The details are on the blog post, there's not a lot to add, is simply an XML files with a couple of tags available to setup the navbar visibility only after a reboot or instantly and an intent.

~Pietro

1 of 1 people found this helpful