configure time to power off

Our biggest problem today in the field with Zebra printers (iMZ220), is that they are frequently accidentally turned off.  They are hanging from a hip, for example, and the power button gets a good tap and the printer is off.  Frequently the end user doesn't realize that until they try to print and nothing comes out.  This can happen during peak times when the end user needs to print every few seconds.  But turning on a Zebra bluetooth printer *and* waiting for it to connect to the paired iPhone can take 30-60 seconds.

Is there a way to change how difficult it is to power off?  For example, can I change something via ZPL or the printer setup utility to require the power button to be held down for at least 5 seconds to turn it off?

Looking for any ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Del

Del Brown
​ Any recommendations? 

​ Any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Del

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christal Spaeth
Del,There should already be a

Del,

There should already be a bit of delay required in order to turn the printer on and off so I'm wondering if this is an issue with the printer being idle. This document explains how to set the inactivity timeout on mobile printers:

Zebra Technologies - Setting the Inactivity Timeout on Mobile Printers

You can use the command ! U1 getvar "power.inactivity_timeout" to retrieve the current inactivity timeout value.

Christal

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Del Brown
Hi Christal,I appreciate you

Hi Christal,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question.

I can demonstrate that the iMZ220 only requires a simple tap to initiate the power off.  Here is a video:

Power off iMZ220, no delay. - YouTube

Also, we already configure all of our printers to turn off the inactivity_timeout via Zebra Setup Utilities with the following:

! U1 setvar "power.inactivity_timeout" "0"

So that also is not contributing to our problem.

We have hundreds (possibly thousands) of these printers deployed in the field.  And this behavior we're trying to fix is very common in all of our deployments.

Any additional help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Del

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Del Brown
​ or ​ Would love some help

​ or ​ Would love some help on resolving this. 

Thanks in advance!

Del

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Del,Unfortunately that's

Hi Del,

Unfortunately that's the way the iMZ works. It is not configurable at this time.  Some of our other mobile printers do not work that way.  I am taking it down as a feature request for the future, but it may be a while before it could be implemented.  If this really is a big issue in your large deployments, you can work with our Development Services to get custom firmware to give you that option. 

Robin

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Del Brown
Thank you, Robin.  We've

Thank you, Robin. 

We've started the process, through our Zebra reseller, to attempt to push through a firmware change.

Del

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’