3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 9:34 AM by Robin West

Data Matrix Barcode Size

Bernie Hunt

I'm working on a label that will have a Data Matrix barcode using ECC 200. It appears that the barcode image changes size with the size of the data. While this makes sense, I would like to center the image in a section of the label. Is there any way to predict the size of the barcode image in advance, based on the data going into the encoding?

This would let me project in the software where to put the code based on its size.

Thanks,

Bernie

PS: Is anyone aware of some sizing and locating issues with QR codes?

• Re: Data Matrix Barcode Size
          Robin West

Hi Bernie, You are correct that the barcode sizes with the amount of data you encode.  This is true for most variable size barcodes in our printers, including QR codes.  There are a few third party label software tools that will handle the sizing for you including keeping the size static.  NiceLabel and Bartender are both well known tools with these capabilities. 

Bernie Hunt

I spoke with NIceLabel and they wanted to sell me a couple of thousand dollar solution to handle printing QR codes. I said no thank you. I'll check out Bartender and see what they say. I don't think it's going to help any because the barcode is being generated inside your printer so how are they going to be able to determine what Zebra is doing in it's own firmware?

Bernie

Robin West

Hi Bernie,

I completely understand your issue.  Unfortunately that is the way barcodes work in our products.  You can make some guesses, based on data length, when to modify the magnification factor to keep the size consistent, but it takes some trial and error.  We don't have a simple calculation to make it work in all circumstances. 

Companies like NiceLabel and Seagull Scientific (BarTender) are able to determine the sizes and make the modifications because 1) we have had these barcodes in our products for at least 10 years, 2) the way we process barcodes is standardized, 3) is always backwards compatible, 4) and they work with Zebra closely.  They have done the work over time to catch most contingencies.  I'm not saying this to discourage you, only that it's a complicated problem.