Trying to print a label using zebra ZP 505.

I am trying to print a shipping label from fedex using zebra ZP 505 thermal printer connected via USB with my system.

My codebase is in python backend and I want to give the print command from application. Can you suggest how to connect with printer and send base64 image to printer programmatically.

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Saurabh, We have several

Hi Saurabh, We have several discussions on this topic:

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Saurabh Dwivedi
Hi Robin,I already looked

Hi Robin,

I already looked into those threads before. But I did not find a suitable one that talks about integrating with python codebase. I have a zpl file I just want to send the file to thermal printer connected via USB.

Saurabh

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Saurabh,Which platform are

Hi Saurabh,

Which platform are you writing for and what library are you using for USB?  USB tends to be hardware specific, so the answer will depend on those factors.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Saurabh Dwivedi
My application is deployed in

My application is deployed in Google cloud platform and my backend code is in python. So I am planning to use PyUSB library from python to connect usb devices.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Saurabh, Is this a 100%

Hi Saurabh,

Is this a 100% web app? a mobile app? Is the client a Raspberry Pi?  USB communications usually have to be handled on the client end.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Saurabh Dwivedi
Yes Robin, its totally a web

Yes Robin, its totally a web application.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Saurabh,Your architecture

Hi Saurabh,

Your architecture is important here.  USB is a very local, hardware driven communication method.  Most browsers block this sort of communication.  You will not be able to directly communicate to USB devices via your backend. With any USB method, you will need something installed on the PC or Android device that the printer is directly connected to in order to facilitate communications.  Even if all that is is a driver.  This is true for any USB device and most Bluetooth peripherals.

If you are fairly confident that the end users of your web app are using PC/Mac/Linux and the printers they are printing to are directly connected to the end user's computer, then you have a few options.  Most likely, they have drivers installed for their printers, see my article on that here: 

We also have a tool called Browser Print which is a shim app that works with Javascript to push print jobs to a USB printer. 

If this is not your architecture, then think about the ability to use networked printers or other options.  Some of the Zebra, networked, printers are even more "cloud ready" and can communicate with a cloud backend directly via websockets.

Hope this helps

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Saurabh Dwivedi
Hi Robin,That is quite some

Hi Robin,

That is quite some wonderful info in your articles.  Thanks for that.

Now I am trying to save the zpl response as a zpl file in my cloud. And whosoever wants to access it they can open it locally. I wanted your thoughts whether is this possible to give a print command to a local zpl file?

Can you suggest on this.

Thanks

Saurabh

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’