Read RFID tags and barcodes at the same time from RFD8500 scanner

We are currently using the Zebra RFID SDK for Android (native / Java) to scan RFID tag data into our custom app running on a TC51. The RFID scanning is working great, but we'd like to add the ability to scan barcodes at the same time. For example, if a user is unable to scan an RFID tag for some reason, he should be able to use the RFD8500's integrated barcode scanner and then immediately switch back to RFID scanning. The RFID SDK's RfidEventsListener.eventReadNotify() method only seems to fire when an RFID tag is read and not when a barcode is read. What would be the best way to handle this mix of RFID & barcode scanning with the RFD8500 and our custom Android app?

We have a demo application with source code for Android that illustrates the use of RFID and barcode scanning in a single application.

Scan Scan Write Application for Android Support & Downloads | Zebra

For barcode scanning samples, check out the EMDK for the TC51

TC51 Mobile Computer Support & Downloads | Zebra

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hi Loren Sederburg,

I've downloaded Zebra_RFID_Scanscanwrite_1.0.0.19 and can run on Android phone.

However, I found the app can only scan Barcode. If I press the mode button on RFD8500 to change to RFID mode, no response when pressing Yellow trigger to scan a RFID tag.

How can I read RFID tag in Scanscanwrite app? Can you post a code snippet to demonstrate how to switch between reading Barcode and RFID?

Thank you.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hi,

For sample applications of RFID reading you might want to check out the RFD8500 support page (RFD8500 1D/2D RFID Sled Support & Downloads | Zebra ), specifically the Android application, Zebra RFID Mobile Application for Android Support & Downloads | Zebra 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

I find this to be a bit confusing. Some context: I want to use barcode and RFID functionality with a RFD8500 device. I've been using the API3_LIB-release-1.0.3.13.aar, which does not appear to support barcodes; it seems like it is RFID only.

I've downloaded the Scan Scan Write source code (app version 1.0.2.9) that uses the library API3_LIB-release-1.0.5.09.aar. In browsing the application source, it looks like both RFID and barcodes are supported by the app. But the application fails to connect to the Zebra 8500.

Instead, when the app looks for available scanners, it reports that the 'RFID service is not installed'. The cause of this is in MainActivity.java#AutoConnectDevice:

Application.readers.GetAvailableRFIDReaderList

Internally, the Readers class is looking for a component called "com.zebra.rfid.rfidmanager.RFIDService", which is not found. I can only assume that either 1) I need to install another APK that exports that service, or 2) there is some work on my behalf that should be done to the application to make this service available. (For what it's worth, I'm testing this using Android 8.1, Oreo, on a Pixel 2.)

I can't find any documentation that describes this. I would think there would be a README file or something.

Among the copious Zebra SDKs I've downloaded, I've yet to find any package 'com.zebra.rfid.rfidmanager...' It doesn't appear to be part of the Zebra RFID Mobile app, either.

The point of my post is this: if I want to read barcodes and read/write RFID tags with Android + Zebra 8500, do I use the API3_LIB-release-1.0.5.09.aar SDK? Or do I use something else? Do I need to use two separate aar files in order to accomplish my goal?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Or, is the only option to use ZETI commands, and thus not use any API3_LIB* aar?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Any luck I'm having the same issue

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’