Web App: Receiving Scanned Values with DataWedge

// Expert user has replied.
D Dylan Barnes 2 years 10 months ago
496 4 0

Hello All,

I have been developing a web application to use in the web browser of the TC8000 Zebra Android Scanner. My use case involves a way to receive scanned barcodes in the web application, without the use of a visible text field.

I am able to successfully do this from a desktop computer, using a "dumb" scanner (Model DS6708). I use keydown events in javascript to capture the input from the scanner in keyboard wedge mode. The characters are entered in character by character from the scanner, thus essentially emulating a keyboard.

I have attempted doing this same thing from the Android Scanner using the DataWedge application, with the enter key occurring after the scan to submit the value. While a value is read and submitted, the value scanned appears as "Unidentified". According to Microsoft's Javascript documentation, this is what occurs when a key cannot be identified. This makes sense, at it seems the entire barcode string is being passed as a key. Also, if I hold the scan button down without actually scanning anything, each second it's scanning it is relaying a keypress event of unidentified.

Is there any way I can pass in ASCII compatible characters, character by character, with DataWedge? I've tinkered with all of the configuration settings that seemed useful, as well as read a good amount of the API documentation. At this point I'm lost on how to move forward without building a native app, which would not be ideal.

Kind Regards,

Dylan

Please register or login to post a reply

4 Replies

M Maarish Kandan

Hi Dyln Barnes

can you please share the details about how you configured the data wedge for chrome?

Thanks

K Kittipon Chaikittiwanich

Hi, not sure if someone still has the problem with the keypress. But I would like to share my story.
I just had the problem to use the 'keypress' event to detect the barcode scanner of Zebra device TC56. It did not fire any 'keypress' event but 'keydown' with Unidentified key.

I tried configure the DataWedge profile and then found the solution of changing the Inter character delay to be some value (I use 5 ms) instead of 0 ms and it works. The 'keypress' event is triggered with identified keys.

Also I combined with sending the intent to setup DataWedge profile here to set the inter character delay from the code; thanks to Darryn. Everything works like a charm

s stuti jain

Hi Dylan,

I am an Indian Developer developing an Android application
Regarding your query, Am here in the discussion that I'm also facing the same issue. My basic issue is when I press scanning button in Zebra TC20 I am not being able to get the result of barcode. so I just changed the key event to try for my client but after changing the key press to ENTER, It is clicking another button of my application. So can you please please help me out that which button is pressed for scanning or we can change it from any setting?
I would be grateful if you could help me on this.

Thank you

A Andreas Fauerbach

Hi,

A cabled scanner sends real Key events over the USB HID Protocol. That's why you can use javascript to capture the events.
Datawedge doesn't send KeyCodes. It sends ASCII characters.
So the only way of capturing the data seems to be the oninput event.
The keydown and keypress events apparently don't return anything meaningful.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?