3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 8:03 AM by Samantha Corn

Cancel all print job when paper/ribbon has run out

Ian Gorse

We have a big issue within our company where the end user will print a number of labels, but the ribbon/media will run out before it finished printing the batch.

Frustratingly, the end user will - instead of replacing the ribbon/media - just walk away.

When the next person comes along, he/she will initiate another print job then realize the media/ribbon has run out so will replace.

Problem with this is the Zebra printer will continue printing the previous batch which then is intermixed with a new batch of printed labels. If the end user is not paying attention, he/she will collect a mixture of labels which is causes a quality concern.

What we would like to do is have the ability to cancel all print jobs once ribbon or media has run out.

Is this possible?

• Re: Cancel all print job when paper/ribbon has run out
          Samantha Corn

Hi Ian,

There is a cancel all command that you could try. You can use the ZPL version of the command, ~JA, or the SGD command:

! U1 setvar "formats.cancel_all" ""

These commands can be found on pages 220 and 734 of the ZPL Programming Guide. They should clear out everything in the printer's internal buffer.

Ian Gorse

Thank you for the response.

How would I go about using the ZPL version when paper/ribbon has run out?

I have come across this ZPL

^XA ^DFE:AUTOEXEC.ZPL^FS ^JZN^XZ

If I add this to a file and FTP it to the printer, every time an error occurs it stops re-printing the last label.

If I could make it so it clears the internal buffer instead on error then this might suffice the requirement.

I have tried

^XA ^DFE:AUTOEXEC.ZPL^FS ~JA^XZ

but the printer doesn't seem to accept the file on FTP transfer

Samantha Corn

Hi Ian,

Commands that begin with ~ are immediate commands and don't need to be nested in ^XA and ^XZ. You could try moving the ~JA command to after the ^XZ, but then I don't think it would be included in the AUTOEXEC.ZPL. The AUTOEXEC.ZPL file is only run at power up, though, so a different solution may be to send the ~JA before sending a print job if the printers may be left on after the media runs out.