13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2017 9:51 AM by Debasis Routray

resize QR code

Carlos Meira

Hello all,

I need to print on a ZT410 printer using ZPL language a very big QR code.

Tesla ask us to print a fixed size 3,2X3,2 inches QR code...

How can we do that?

Regards

• Re: resize QR code
          Samantha Corn

Hi Carlos,

The QR code ZPL command has a built in magnification variable, ranging from 1 to 10. Details on the commands options can be found on page 103 of the ZPL Programming Guide. Unfortunately, this command doesn't allow for resizing based on measurement. If you're sending the QR code from an app, one option is to generate the QR code as an image, which can be printed with exact measurements.

Marcel Schneider

Hello,

we have the same issue and the same questions as Carlos Meira.

Isn't there a way to extend the built in magnification range? The Problem would be solved if you could choose the magnification variable with a value = 30.

Another App/ Software in addition to our ERP System is not wanted so we don't have the chance to generate Images. I think it would be helpful for a lot of suppliers so any help is highly appreciated.

Best regards

Marcel

Robin West

Hi Marcel, Thanks for the feedback.  Right now the direct ZPL magnification is between 1 and 10.   We are curious what your use case is for needing such a large code printed.  Can you share?

Marcel Schneider

Good morning Robin,

our customer wants us to print a label where more or less the half of the label space is reserved for the QR code.

With the content the customer expects inside the code, the QR code will only be about 1 Inch x 1 Inch (if we choose magnification rate 10) and per his answer this size will be to small for the automated receiving process.

The suggestion is to use a additional software that scales the code up to the needed size - of course we don't want to use an additional software that needs to be linked to our SAP system etc.

Other code types (like datamatrix code) can be scaled to the needed size only by changing the ZPL Parameters - so our wish is that this is also possible for QR codes.

If you have more questions please let me know.

Best regards

Robin West

Hi Marcel,

Thanks, I'll run this by a few people here and see if we can think of an answer to help.  You are looking for some ZPL that would let you scale the barcode to at least 3x what it is printing at magnification 10.

Robin

Marcel Schneider

Hi Robin,

absolutely correct.

Thanks for your help so far - I am really looking forward to hearing from you.

Marcel

Robin West

Hi Marcel,

OK, So there are two options.  Neither are ideal, but depending on your situation, they should work OK and only use ZPL.

One is to add more data to your barcode such as white space that you can easily filter out.  The printer will scale to fit the data, but you will need to add a lot of bytes to get to that type of size and then some code to filter it out.

The other option is to fake out the printer into thinking you are using a different DPI.  Check out the ^MU command.  This will apply a scaling to your entire label so you will have to adjust the other fields on the label to match.   You will want to reset the DPI back after this is printed to print other types of labels.

Standard size

^XA

^MUd,200,200^FS

^FT0,0^BQN,2,10

^FDMA,123456789123456879^FS

^PQ1,0,1,Y^XZ

Magnify DPI

^XA

^MUd,150,300^FS

^FT0,0^BQN,2,10

^FDMA,123456789123456879^FS

^PQ1,0,1,Y^XZ

Bob Wiscott

A proper ZPL based command for scaling a QR code further would definitely be helpful. I normally send nice, clean ZPL from my software and creating an image and scaling the image is not ideal. Sure, it's possible, but for millions of prints, that's a lot of network traffic and more processing requirements. Proper scaling past 10 would definitely be helpful.

thanks,

-Bob

Debasis Routray

Hi Robin,

Can you please help me? I used ^MU command but it resized everything. Lets say I have few more information like who is sending address and to whom we are sending address details along with the QR Barcode in a single label. When I am using ^MU, it is resizing both QR Barcode and the contents (who is sending and whom we are sending address details). How can I use ^MU command or any other command so that only QR Barcode will resize? Nothing else.

Thank you.

Robin West

Hi Debasis,

Unfortunately, there are only a few options to do this. None of them are ideal.

1. Convert the QR code to an image of the size you want.  We have a few partners who can do this as part of label design apps, but otherwise the code has to be part of your app.  I don't have sample code for this and you may need to license a bar-code font.

2. Add more data to the bar-code.  You can add unprintable characters that are easily stripped, but the amount of data to get you to 3" or more is very large.  The bar-code will maintain density.

3.Use the ^MU command to scale the label.  There is no way to use this command field by field.  It will scale the entire label. You can reduce the size of the other fields to fit, but you loose some print quality.

Unfortunately, these are the only current methods to scale past magnification 10.  Also, It may not be intuitive, but as bar-codes get to a certain size or bigger, they become harder to scan because you have to hold the scanner or camera farther away to capture the entire code. 

Debasis Routray

Hi Marcel,

Are you able to resize the QR Barcode using ^MU? I tried but it is also resizing all other contents. I am also unable to position the content using ^FO. If you have done that, could you please share the code/command?

Thank you.