12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 8:36 AM by Tobias Sanchez

what are the interface, dll, classes I have to call from an external application to print from zebra 22xi4?

Tobias Sanchez

what are the interface, dll, classes I have to call from an external application to print from zebra 22xi4?

Hello, I am helping a mutual customer to print zebra tags from my application, which is heavily based on vbscript, vbasic. What is the application, classes properties, dlls, I have to call once installed the drivers for the 22xi4 printer for starting the printer, specifying the number of labels I need to print and so on?

• Re: what are the interface, dll, classes I have to call from an external application to print from zebra 22xi4?
          Robin West

Hi Tobias,

If you want to print using the xi4 driver and vbscript, set the driver to default printer and use : objFile.InvokeVerbEx( "Print" )

VBScript Scripting Techniques: Printing Files

In standard VB, you have more control over layout and pages and can use the PrintDocument class:

PrintDocument Class (System.Drawing.Printing)

• Re: what are the interface, dll, classes I have to call from an external application to print from zebra 22xi4?
              Tobias Sanchez

Hi Robin,

thank you for your quick response. I still do not understand quite right "what file". The customer told me they have a printer and they have a zebra pro where they design the labels. The  labels's text can be extracted from a database and the label can be to the printer(at least in the licensed version) as the by default label.

In the other hand they would like to print a row from the grid our program offers. Right now I copied the selected row into a csv file wich is the data base fro the label above.

Now, how do I say to the printer

"Print!"  assuming it will take the label by default and the label will be fed in that moment using th cvs file, that I just updated before saying print.

is there a way i can say. printer by default. print or zebra pritner.print? Hopefully with the  number of pages(with vbasic as you suggested cause vbscript wont do it)

If things function differently and zebra uses a specific program to print asking for the number of copies let me know as well, and thanks in advance

Robin West

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the extra info.  I don't believe you will be able to use vbscript.

To explain what you can do, it's necessary to explain a few things about how ZebraDesigner Pro works.  The designer allows your customer to create a label template with some fields that get filled in via the database.    As an example,  if they were printing shipping labels, they design it to place the address always in one area and the tracking number in another.  They would also place a barcode that would take the same tracking number for data.  Columns in the database table would likely be labeled 'address' and 'tracking_number'. 

So, your customer needs to export the template to a file and send it to you in order for you or your app to print the same labels your customer is.  Otherwise the printer has no idea where to put each cell of data.  You could design something yourself with the free version of ZebraDesigner or VB, but it wouldn't match your customer template.

Once you have the template, you have a few options.  What OS are you printing from and are you printing over USB, network, Bluetooth, or don't know? 

Tobias Sanchez

yes, I already used the designer pro to create a label that looks like a

picture that my customer sent me, but I cannot export it to the printer

because it is a demo(unlicensed) and demo do not export label with more

than 1 variables.

in this case i created in the label the texts as variables and I used as a

database a csv file I modify with the data of my application. when I try to

preview from the designer it shows me the last data,  so that part is

running fine.

When i use vbscript to call my application developer kit(my application is

made in visual basic but has dlls that can be used from vbscript) I can

modify that file and it is in that moment I need to say, print and how many

copies.

I assume the customer is using windows, printing to a network location

2017-07-20 16:20 GMT-04:00 Robin West <

zebra-dev@zebra-dev-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com>:

Zebra Technologies Developer Portal <https://developer.zebra.com/>

what are the interface, dll, classes I have to call from an external

application to print from zebra 22xi4?

reply from Robin West

<https://developer.zebra.com/people/RWest?et=watches.email.thread> in *Label

And Receipt Printing* - View the full discussion

<https://developer.zebra.com/message/94267?et=watches.email.thread#94267>

Robin West

Hi Tobias,

Because you are not using the designer to print via a database directly you can use the actually free version of  ZebraDesigner Basic Barcode Label Software | Zebra .  Just save your design and open it in this version and you should be able to export the template.

There are two things you can do with it then:

1. If you know the printers are networked, you can open a TCP socket and send the template and csv data - formatted as in red below - directly to port 9100 on the printer.

2. Create a new Generic Text printer and point it at the same port as your zebra printer.  Then you can use the code below to print in vb. 

There may be a simpler way to handle this, but this works.  It assumes the generic driver is default, but you can add a PrintDialog to let your user select the printer instead.  The form just has two buttons on it (one for sending the format, the other for printing the CSV)  Always send the format to the printer first, but it is saved so you only really need to do it once.

Form1.vb

Imports System.IO

Imports System.Drawing.Printing

' Based on the sample code found in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.drawing.printing.printdocument(v=vs.110).aspx?cs-save-lang=1&cs-lang=vb#code-snippet-2

Public Class Form1

Private printFont As Font

Private streamToPrint As TextReader

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

Try

streamToPrint = New StreamReader("C:\My Documents\Format.zpl")

' Contents of format.zpl file:

' ^XA^DFE:Format.ZPL^MNN^LL400^FS

' ^FO20,20^A0N,50,50^FN11^FS

' ^FO20,70^A0N,50,50^FN12^FS

' ^FO20,120^A0N,50,50^FN13^FS

' ^XZ

Try

printFont = New Font("Arial", 1)

Dim pd As New PrintDocument()

AddHandler pd.PrintPage, AddressOf Me.pd_PrintPage

pd.Print()

Finally

streamToPrint.Close()

End Try

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Try

Dim startPrint As String = "^XA^XFE:FORMAT.ZPL"

Dim endPrint As String = "^XZ"

Dim setField As String = "^FN"

Dim setData As String = "^FD"

Dim endData As String = "^FS"

Dim myData As String = startPrint

Dim CSVData As String = "Hello, World, 12345"

' Take the csv and convert it to ZPL for printing  - This may need to be modified based on the template

Dim words As String() = CSVData.Split(New Char() {","c})

Dim word As String

Dim index As Integer = 11  ' most templates in the designer start at field number 11

For Each word In words

myData = myData & setField & index.ToString & setData & word & endData

index += 1

Next

myData = myData & endPrint

'print the label

streamToPrint = New StringReader(myData)

Try

printFont = New Font("Arial", 1)

Dim pd As New PrintDocument()

AddHandler pd.PrintPage, AddressOf Me.pd_PrintPage

pd.Print()

Finally

streamToPrint.Close()

End Try

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

End Sub

' The PrintPage event is raised for each page to be printed.

Private Sub pd_PrintPage(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal ev As PrintPageEventArgs)

Dim linesPerPage As Single = 0

Dim yPos As Single = 0

Dim count As Integer = 0

Dim leftMargin As Single = ev.MarginBounds.Left

Dim topMargin As Single = ev.MarginBounds.Top

Dim line As String = Nothing

' Calculate the number of lines per page.

linesPerPage = ev.MarginBounds.Height / printFont.GetHeight(ev.Graphics)

' Print each line of the file.

While count < linesPerPage

line = streamToPrint.ReadLine()

If line Is Nothing Then

Exit While

End If

yPos = topMargin + count * printFont.GetHeight(ev.Graphics)

ev.Graphics.DrawString(line, printFont, Brushes.Black, leftMargin, yPos, New StringFormat())

count += 1

End While

' If more lines exist, print another page.

If (line IsNot Nothing) Then

ev.HasMorePages = True

Else

ev.HasMorePages = False

End If

End Sub

End Class

Robin West

Also to answer your question about multiple pages:

You can handle each row separately as it's own print job, or combine them as so:

Dim CSVData As String = "Hello,World,12345" & vbCr & "My Name is,Robin,456879" & vbCr & "Tobias,Sanchez,789456"

Dim lines As String() = CSVData.Split(vbCr)

Dim line As String

For Each line In lines

' Take the csv and convert it to ZPL for printing  - This may need to be modified based on the template

Dim words As String() = line.Split(New Char() {","c})

Dim word As String

Dim index As Integer = 11  ' most templates in the designer start at field number 11

For Each word In words

myData = myData & setField & index.ToString & setData & word & endData

index += 1

Next word

myData = myData & endPrint

Next line

To print multiple copies with the same data, just before the end of the format file, there is usually a ^PQ1,0,0  Change the first number to your desired copies.  You can also set this in the ZDesigner driver preferences and it will be part of the template when you export.

Tobias Sanchez

Hello

Thanks for the response.

I have prepared some questions and comments based on it.

1.I have to use designer pro because I am trying to grab the data from the

csv file. the csv file is my "database" allowing the customer to prepare

their own formats and variables

2. About the procedure

this is the way I think it works, please correct me if I am wrong, I create

a cvs file and put it in a location.

The label was set up for grabbing the data from the csv from that location

The label was set up as the label by default in that printer

The printer was setup as the by default printer in that computer

Someone opens my program and from the n records I show them they select

one, go the menu and execute the print option

In the print option, using vbs or a call from vbs to a vb6 component(my

system uses vb6 I do not know if using a vb.net component would create a

problem) I change the values of the csv to the values of the record

selected and somehow ask the printer to print

The printer knows where to find the label, the label got its own format and

knows where to find the data(csv)

I am right or wrong?

3 Answering your advice to send the csv to print directly

If I do so directly I lose the customer formatted .lbl layout, the .lbl

are created by the designer pro in the customer side, i just make sure the

csv has the same fields(more properly the values of that field) the

customer specifies in the .lbl .

4. Do I  have to use zpl(I am level 0 in that language) to ask the printer

to star a job?

5 With regard to managing m y rows  as its own print job, I print only one

line, the one suggested by the customer, but thanks, I will keep this code

just in case they want to print more lines.

2017-07-20 18:00 GMT-04:00 Robin West <

reply from Robin West

<https://developer.zebra.com/people/RWest?et=watches.email.thread> in *Label

<https://developer.zebra.com/message/94269?et=watches.email.thread#94269>

Tobias Sanchez

Robin, I found a way to get the zpl code of a label file, via print to

file, and I was able to modify it, putting my data into it. However, when I

put this code into a file and ask the file to be printed from vb.net, it

prints the text/code zpl instead of the label designed in that code,.how

can I "execute this code" so it prints a label?

2017-07-21 10:36 GMT-04:00 Tobias Sanchez <tobias.aquiles@gmail.com>:

Hello

Thanks for the response.

I have prepared some questions and comments based on it.

1.I have to use designer pro because I am trying to grab the data from the

csv file. the csv file is my "database" allowing the customer to prepare

their own formats and variables

2. About the procedure

this is the way I think it works, please correct me if I am wrong, I

create a cvs file and put it in a location.

The label was set up for grabbing the data from the csv from that location

The label was set up as the label by default in that printer

The printer was setup as the by default printer in that computer

Someone opens my program and from the n records I show them they select

one, go the menu and execute the print option

In the print option, using vbs or a call from vbs to a vb6 component(my

system uses vb6 I do not know if using a vb.net component would create a

problem) I change the values of the csv to the values of the record

selected and somehow ask the printer to print

The printer knows where to find the label, the label got its own format

and knows where to find the data(csv)

I am right or wrong?

3 Answering your advice to send the csv to print directly

If I do so directly I lose the customer formatted .lbl layout, the .lbl

are created by the designer pro in the customer side, i just make sure the

csv has the same fields(more properly the values of that field) the

customer specifies in the .lbl .

4. Do I  have to use zpl(I am level 0 in that language) to ask the printer

to star a job?

5 With regard to managing m y rows  as its own print job, I print only one

line, the one suggested by the customer, but thanks, I will keep this code

just in case they want to print more lines.

>

2017-07-20 18:00 GMT-04:00 Robin West <zebra-dev@zebra-dev-v8.

hosted.jivesoftware.com>:

>> Zebra Technologies Developer Portal <https://developer.zebra.com/>

>> what are the interface, dll, classes I have to call from an external

>> application to print from zebra 22xi4?

>>

>> reply from Robin West

>> <https://developer.zebra.com/people/RWest?et=watches.email.thread> in *Label

>> And Receipt Printing* - View the full discussion

>> <https://developer.zebra.com/message/94269?et=watches.email.thread#94269>

>>

Samantha Corn

Hi Tobias,

Robin is out for Zebra's AppForum in Shanghai this week. However, it sounds like the printer language may be set to line print. You can check the language using this SGD command:

! U1 getvar "device.languages"

And you can set the printer language to ZPL using this command:

! U1 setvar "device.languages" "zpl"

This command can be found on page 657 of the ZPL Programming Guide. You can send these commands in an application or through Zebra Setup Utilities.

Tobias Sanchez

Hello Samantha,

To be honest with you I was attempting this in a regular printer, since I

have no access to a zebra printer. I have now a label printer in my desk

type dymo.

I will research the sgd command. I have seen it before in some forums but I

am writing code in vbscript or vb net. Can i in the middle of the code send

that command just like that?

this is my code in vb net

Imports System.IO

Public Class Form1

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Private streamToPrint As StreamReader

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles

Button1.Click

streamToPrint = New

StreamReader("C:\Users\Tobias\Desktop\testforzebra.zpl")

Dim ipAddress As String = "192.168.2.169"

Dim port As Integer = 9100

Dim ZPLString As String = streamToPrint.ReadToEnd()

MsgBox(ZPLString)

Try

'Open Connection

Dim client As New System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient

client.Connect(ipAddress, port)

Can I do this in the middle of my vb net code?

'Write ZPL String to Connection

Dim writer As New System.IO.StreamWriter(client.GetStream())

writer.Write(ZPLString)

writer.Flush()

! U1 setvar "device.languages" "line"

'Close Connection

writer.Close()

client.Close()

Catch ex As Exception

'Catch Exception Here

End Try

End Sub

End Class

IF i had a print label type dymo, would that help testing or is it an

entirely different language?

2017-07-24 17:07 GMT-04:00 Samantha Corn <

reply from Samantha Corn

<https://developer.zebra.com/people/SCorn?et=watches.email.thread> in *Label

<https://developer.zebra.com/message/94324?et=watches.email.thread#94324>

Tobias Sanchez

Thanks for the SGDs, I am sure I will use them soon.

I finally  found an example to explain myself. This is what I am doing with

a label printer type dymo in visual basic

Sub TestLabel()

Dim myDymo As DYMO_DLS_SDK.DymoHighLevelSDK

Dim dyAddin As DYMO_DLS_SDK.ISDKDymoAddin

Dim dyLabel As DYMO_DLS_SDK.ISDKDymoLabels

Set myDymo = New DYMO_DLS_SDK.DymoHighLevelSDK

Set dyAddin = myDymo.DymoAddin

Set dyLabel = myDymo.DymoLabels

dyAddin.SelectPrinter dyAddin.GetDymoPrinters

dyAddin.Open Environ$("USERPROFILE") & "\My Documents\DYMO

Label\Labels\labelt2.label"

dyLabel.SetField "Text", "Dymo test for Peter"

dyAddin.Print2 3, True, 0

Set myDymo = Nothing

End Sub

In vbscript

Dim DymoAddIn, DymoLabel

Set DymoAddIn = CreateObject("DYMO.DymoAddIn")

Set DymoLabel = CreateObject("DYMO.DymoLabels")

DymoAddIn.Open "C:\Users\Tobias\Documents\My Documents\DYMO

Label\Labels\labelt2.label"

DymoLabel.Setfield "Price" ," 24.99"

DymoAddIn.Print2 1, TRUE, 0

Could you please provide the names in red for calling the zebra

printer instead? I am assuming if Dymo has an interface Zebra has it as well

2017-07-25 8:47 GMT-04:00 Tobias Sanchez <tobias.aquiles@gmail.com>:

Hello Samantha,

To be honest with you I was attempting this in a regular printer, since I

have no access to a zebra printer. I have now a label printer in my desk

type dymo.

I will research the sgd command. I have seen it before in some forums but

I am writing code in vbscript or vb net. Can i in the middle of the code

send that command just like that?

this is my code in vb net

Imports System.IO

Public Class Form1

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Private streamToPrint As StreamReader

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles

Button1.Click

streamToPrint = New StreamReader("C:\Users\Tobias\

Desktop\testforzebra.zpl")

Dim ipAddress As String = "192.168.2.169"

Dim port As Integer = 9100

Dim ZPLString As String = streamToPrint.ReadToEnd()

>

MsgBox(ZPLString)

Try

'Open Connection

Dim client As New System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient

client.Connect(ipAddress, port)

Can I do this in the middle of my vb net code?

>

'Write ZPL String to Connection

Dim writer As New System.IO.StreamWriter(client.GetStream())

writer.Write(ZPLString)

writer.Flush()

! U1 setvar "device.languages" "line"

'Close Connection

writer.Close()

client.Close()

Catch ex As Exception

'Catch Exception Here

End Try

>

End Sub

End Class

>

IF i had a print label type dymo, would that help testing or is it an

entirely different language?

>

2017-07-24 17:07 GMT-04:00 Samantha Corn <zebra-dev@zebra-dev-v8.

hosted.jivesoftware.com>:

>> Zebra Technologies Developer Portal <https://developer.zebra.com/>

>> what are the interface, dll, classes I have to call from an external

>> application to print from zebra 22xi4?

>>

>> reply from Samantha Corn

>> <https://developer.zebra.com/people/SCorn?et=watches.email.thread> in *Label

>> And Receipt Printing* - View the full discussion

>> <https://developer.zebra.com/message/94324?et=watches.email.thread#94324>

>>