2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 2:18 AM by Jan Bejvl

RW420 with old firmware - UTF-8 encoding

Jan Bejvl

Dear Community, Dear Zebra Team,

I'm trying to print chars like "čšřťžáíéě" on Zebra RW420 R4D with version of firmware ZPL V30.8.4-Z3.30.

I'm not able to set encoding. With ZPL he command ^CI is not available for that firmware ver(when I use it, it is ignored).

With CPCL none of "COUNTRY" option helps. There is an ENCODING command:

ENCODING Example

Input (ENCODING.LBL):

! 0 200 200 200 1

ENCODING GB18030

TEXT GBUNSG24.CPF 0 20 30 Font: GBUNSG24 ‚t‚u

ENCODING ASCII

TEXT 7 0 20 80 Font 7, Size 0

PRINT

but it is ignored by printer. I think it has something to do with ENCODING.LBL file, but I have found nothing about how to get it or use it.

It is not possible to update firmware or download any files from PC. I have to use only ZPL or CPCL.a

Thank you

• Re: RW420 with old firmware - UTF-8 encoding
          Robin West

Hi Jan, The RW with that version of firmware is not going to be able to use the ENCODING command.  Especially if you are unable to download anything.  I think ENCODING is a newer command and it requires a font to be loaded on the printer.  The COUNTRY options are your best bet, but you will have to ensure the character encoding is correctly sent.  It will not handle UTF-8. The issue is I'm not seeing some of those characters in the standard language sets supported.  Which language are you printing? Czech?

• Re: RW420 with old firmware - UTF-8 encoding
              Jan Bejvl

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your time.

Robin West wrote:

...The issue is I'm not seeing some of those characters in the standard language sets supported.  Which language are you printing? Czech?

I'm printing Czech. These special chars can be found in ASCII extensions encodings like Kamenicky,  PC Latin 2,  ISO Latin 2,  KOI-8 CS2, cp1250(cp852,windows-1250)

Robin West wrote:

...RW with that version of firmware is not going to be able to use the ENCODING command...

Ok, I forget the ENCODING command.

Robin West wrote:

...The COUNTRY options are your best bet, but you will have to ensure the character encoding is correctly sent.  It will not handle UTF-8....

If I understand , there are only these options available - USA,GERMANY, FRANCESWEDEN, SPAIN NORWAY, ITALY, CP850, UK, LATIN9, CP874, CHINA, KOREABIG5  and JAPAN-S. I tried all of them with no luck.

Robin West wrote:

...but you will have to ensure the character encoding is correctly sent.  It will not handle UTF-8...

I'm communicating with printer via ZDesigner(direct communication) or my mobile app (writing encoded byte array using stream)

Yesterday, I have found that I have an option in EPL2.

There is a command "I" (default is  I8,0,001). Also in EPL2 there is LATIN2 charset table with my desired characters. But still, when I print:

N

Q200,0

rN

I8,B,001 (or I8,2,001) <- Windows-1250 or CP852

A50,50,0,2,1,1,N,"PLEASE print čřť PLEASE"

P1

Reason why this doesn't work properly might be I'm sending it in wrong encoding. (ZDesinger uses UTF-8?) Is it possible to send char-code directly into ZDesigner?

Like this:

N

Q200,0

rN

I8,B,001

A50,50,0,2,1,1,N,"print \172" <-- 172 is code for Č in Code page 852

P1

For reference: I'm using this manual. CP852 is on page 859

Thanks, JB