TC25 - Barcode scanner tutorial - Can't scan until DataWedge Demo used

After much wrangling of my Android Studio, I got the source code in the tutorial here (http://techdocs.zebra.com/emdk-for-android/6-9/tutorial/tutBasicScanningAPI/) to build and deploy. The main activity shows up with the message "The scanner enabled and its idle", which is not what I expected. Further, pressing the hard triggers didn't do anything. But if I then open the DWDemo that came with the phone, select a scanner (I can even reselect the current option), and then switch back to my test app, the light flashes and I scan. I have debugged the code with a breakpoint where the scanner is assigned, but there I couldn't find any obvious field that would tell me about the scanner's status (whether idle or not).

Specs:

Android Version: 7.1.2

Model: TC25BJ

EMDK Version: 6.9

Full disclosure: I am actually playing with this with the intention of incorporating it into a Cordova (Angular/Ionic) app. This is the first step, as once I can get the scanner to work (or be programmatically turned 'on'), I can create a plugin. If anyone knows of a plugin that works for Cordova and the TC25, please do let me know.

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi, based on the description,

Hi, based on the description, it sounds like the EMDK is not being enabled in your app for some reason - you might want to try the pre-built barcode scanning application to see a working application: Barcode APIs - Zebra Technologies TechDocs .

Having said that however, if you are incorporating scanning into an Ionic application we have a blog post and Dev Talk on that topic which should be more relevant to you.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’