Open Scanner in background (Monitor mode)

M Michael Hillen 3 years ago
12 1 0

Hello,

I'm wondering if there exists a similar function in Android like in Windows CE for using the Scanner in Monitor mode.
In Windows CE you can set the ScanType to "Monitor" so it would not disturb other Apps for creating a Scanner instance.

Barcode2 MyBarcode = new Barcode2();
MyBarcode.Config.Scanner.ScanType = SCANTYPES.Monitor;

What I need is to have an app running in background and monitor all scans that happen with the device regardless of which App made the scan. Then all scanned barcodes will be processed further like logging, sending over network, etc...)

I'm using VS2017 with Xamarin but targeting only Android (TC51/TC56)

Any Ideas or experiences are welcome.

Thanks...
Michael

Please register or login to post a reply

1 Replies

J Javier Molina

I'm not sure it's possible to achieve that in all circumstances, but if you have control over all the applications you need to monitor, there might be a (maybe unconventional) way to do it.

If your apps are using a DataWedge profile, you can enable intent output or IP output and have DataWedge forward each scanned barcode either as a broadcast intent (which you can listen to from your background app) or through TCP/UDP either on IPWedge, a custom app on a server or even potentially on the same mobile device, if you set the IP address to 127.0.0.1.

Intent Output - Zebra Technologies TechDocs
IP Output - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

Will that help in your case?

Javier Molina
Technical Architect, Kutir Mobility
Posted on behalf of Zebra Technologies

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?