Any solutions to persist AFTER Hard Boot .. for .NET CF and Sql CE on Windows CE5 and CE6 using MC9090 and MC9190's  ?

I have an application (.exe) I have developed for the MC9090 and MC9190 to scan barcodes and update a sql-server database.

The application requires the following installed CAB files for the app. to work.

• NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab          402 KB
  • NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab               9176 KB
  • sqlce.dev.ENU.wce5.armv4i.cab      44 KB
  • sqlce.wce5.armv4i.CAB                   221 KB  

I have tried to weeks to figure out HOW TO HAVE THESE AUTOMATICALLY persist AFTER COLD BOOT (HARD BOOT).   Our MC9090 use Windows CE5.  The MC9190's use windows CE6.

I just installed an SD card in them to provide more possibilities to examine as a possible solution?

Herbert De Jong
did you look into startupctl 

did you look into startupctl  an supported tool which can make cab installations cold boot persistent.

look on support.symbol.com for the latest version

pretty good documented as well.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Russell Thompson
Herbert,I have not yet done

Herbert,

I have not yet done so… But I sure will.

If I can get it going… count on me to let you and community know the outcome.

Thanks a million!!!!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Russell Thompson
Herbert,YOUR solution

Herbert,

YOUR solution absolutely worked incredibly SUCCESSFULLY!  

I went to the following site:

http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?languages=&rwTarget=%2FrfPlayerWidget.do&searchMode=GuidedSearch&searchString=startupctl&productLine=&product=&document=&cmd=search&productFamily=&contextType=gs

I downloaded StartUpCtl v1.6   released April 29, 2013  (zip filename = StartUpCtl1016000).  It installed on both the MC9090 and MC9190 as described.   Really good documentation that comes with it.

My CAB files and Exe files persist after Cold Boot / Hard Boot on both Motorola MC9090 and MC9190. 

Ha! .... I now have a new problem only on the MC9190 .... this model apparently comes with a version of the .NET framework installed in ROM which is incompatible with the 3.5 version I am attempting to install.  I dont know at this moment how to Uninstall .NET CF from ROM.   When I try to install the NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab .... it tells me I need to uninstall existing before attempting to install this version.    Hmmmm?  ... it fails to show in the Programs section of the Control Panel to uninstall.

Thank you for your valuable time..... it really worked!!!! 

http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?languages=&rwTarget=%2FrfPlayerWidget.do&searchMode=GuidedSearch&searchString=startupctl&productLine=&product=&document=&cmd=search&productFamily=&contextType=gs

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Nabiraj Seethal...
Russell,You can also try CPY

Russell,

You can also try CPY file and reg file creation.

The problem with Win CE during Cold boot is that it wipes the custom installed application. So the only way is to reinstall these after cold boot. You can try the following registry file ( modify the registry file to point to your required CAB files). Copy this Reg file to \Platform folder.

Also you need to create a .cpy file like the below mentioned and copy this .cpy file to \Application\Startup.

You can keep your cab files in either \Application directory or you can have them in SD card, but pl make correct entries in the .CPY files.

You can they cold boot the device and after cold boot all the cab files will install in silent mode

Here is the .Reg File,

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Russell Thompson
Nabiraj,On Windows based PC's

Nabiraj,

On Windows based PC's ... you edit the registry using "RegEdit" in the command line.    Is there a similar "Registry Editor" for the CE5 and CE6 os?   or is it specific to "Symbol" ?   Then is your recommendation indicating to 1) Edit the Registry  and 2) also copy a Reg File to the \Platform folder?   3)  create a .cpy file using any text editor like Notepad ... once you have the proper syntax figured out, then place the .cpy file in the \Application\Startup folder?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Nabiraj Seethal...
I will forward the files to u

I will forward the files to u shortly, u can edit these files in notepad on PC, copy to the relevant folders. On win ce all the . Reg files that are placed in \platform folder will automatically merged when the device is cold booted.

...Nabi

Sent from my iPhone

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Nabiraj Seethal...
Pl find enclosed the Reg File

Pl find enclosed the Reg File and CPY file. Rename them accordingly

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Russell Thompson
Nabiraj,Thanks for the REG

Nabiraj,

Thanks for the REG and CPY solution.    I get to play with this today and will let you know how it goes?   I have an issue with the Motorola MC9190 (not the older MC9090).... the MC9190 appears to already have a version of the .NET framework installed.   I believe it is in ROM because it fails to appear in the PROGRAMs section of the Control Panel ... in order to uninstall it?    When I attempt to intstall the NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab .... it yells at me that the system already has an existing later version of the .NET CF ..... and to UNINSTALL current version before attempting to install the 3.5 version necessary for our application.    So How To Remove a Program from ROM in the Motorola MC9190 using CE6?   You don't think that CE6 has the .NET compact framework included in the OS ... do you?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Yes, the MC9190 CE device

Yes, the MC9190 CE device comes preloaded with Compact Framework.  If you run \windows\cgacutil.exe (double click it in the file browser) you can see version info. You will need to set the options in the file browser to see that file.  In the file browser do View/Options and uncheck all 3 checkboxes, press OK then browse to \windows and run cgacutil

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Russell Thompson
Ok .. so it appears that we

Ok .. so it appears that we have
.net version 3.5.9198 which is still a v3.5 build.   Good call Daniel.

My app works fine with it.   Thanks again!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dinabandhu Bhukta
Dear Sir,My C# smart Device

Dear Sir,

My C# smart Device application is to be run under Atom Dual Core x86 processor. After hard reboot my sql server CE CAB file need to be install for application debugging(

• sqlce.dev.ENU.wce5.x86.CAB
    • sqlce.repl.wce5.x86.CAB
    • sqlce.wce5.x86.CAB

Please provide me the solution to run the CAB file silently at startup of the device , so that my application will run smoothly,

Any help is very much appreciated.

Dina

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
    Dina, you can use the

Dina, you can use the attached registry file (remove the underscore) to auto install cab files in the desired order. Unlike apps in windows/startup this will install your apps sequentially without stepping all over themselves. Place the registry file in the application folder along with your specific cab files, then simply hard reset and all will install. If you like, you can launch an app at the end. The entire process will run silently and consistently upon every hard reset.

This is assuming you're deploying to a Symbol/Motorola Windows Mobile or Windows CE devices.

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dinabandhu Bhukta
    Dear sir,Thanks for support

Dear sir,

Thanks for support.

am using x86 processor and win ec 7 os

But need to know which application folder (Development PC or Device) .

Dina

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
    As stated in my previous post

As stated in my previous post, this solution is for Symbol/Motorola devices. These devices all come with an application folder which is persistent memory.

When you say x86 processor, it leads me to believe you are talking about windows embedded for PCs. This forum focuses on ARM processor-based devices particularly those manufactured by Symbol Technologies and Motorola Solutions.

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dinabandhu Bhukta
    Thank you sir,

Thank you sir,

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

SCOTT BENDURE
    Hello Nabiraj,I was following

Hello Nabiraj,

I was following your tips on the solution to make my data persist - similar scenario to this question.  I copied your spenreg.txt.zip and was kind of stuck on where to substitute my cab files for the ones in your example.   Here are my cab file.

NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab

sqlce.wce5.armv4i.CAB

sqlce.repl.wce5.armv4i.CAB

sqlce.dev.ENU.wce5.armv4i.CAB

symbol.all.arm.cab

NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab

Just not certain if i can drop them right in or need to begin a new reg edit which i'm not sure how to do on the MC9090 - is there a reg edit, etc?

Hope that make sense.  Thanks for any help!

Scott B.

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
    1.  The MC9190 comes with

1.  The MC9190 comes with Compact Framework 3.5 built into the OS,  so you shouldn't need your first file on those.

2.   I think you might find that there's not enough room on the MC9090 for CF 3.5,  but I could be wrong.  2.0 works fine on them.

3. If you have the EMDK loaded on your PC, there is a readme and sample files showing how to deploy on CE with persistence.  On my machine they are here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola EMDK for .NET\v2.9\Windows CE\MassDeployment\.  Same idea as the sample files attached above that you have been looking at.

This basically uses a .cpy file to copy the cab files from the \application folder to \windows on cold boot, then there is a .reg file that uses the symbol startup process to install them one by one from \windows.  You don't want to install them directly from \application because by default the cab installer will delete the cab file after the install.  There are ways around that (tell the installer not to delete the cab file), but in my opinion the .cpy file method is safer. 

On our CE devices,  during a cold boot, the OS looks for any .cpy and .reg files in \application and processes them.

You can read more about this in the integrator's guide.  Look for regmerge and copyfiles.

https://portal.zebra.com/Support/US-EN/Resolution?solutionId=91601

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

SCOTT BENDURE
    Hi Dan,Thanks for responding

Hi Dan,

Thanks for responding - especially to an older post.  My program deploys and runs successfully but still having problems getting it to load persistent.  I think I was able to run and test the .cpy and .reg files successfully so i think i understand the process but not sure if i loaded the correct items since I can't get my program to run. 

I guess i grabbed those CF files above because I could see them deploy.  One question is that the only way to see what needs to deploy?  I could see these go by when the Check marked for deploy latest version of the Net Compact framework (including service packs).

My VS2008 project screen shot is below - from here do i still need to create a Smart Device Cab project?  Which I tried that but had problems trying to make it persistent.  I had to tap on the cab SmartDeviceProject.Cab  to get it to deploy the .exe.  And then running the exe - it could not find components....

Sorry for all the questions but it seems like we are close but just missing it by a vowel somewhere along the line.

Thank you!

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
    You could use .cpy files to

You could use .cpy files to just copy individual files where you need them as well,  so you don't really need to build a cab file for everything.  This stuff can get a bit confusing at times and it might not be obvious which cab files you need,  which you don't etc.  And some cab files misbehave a little when trying to install silently (popup dialog boxes and things like that).

Here's an alternative.  Instead of deploying cab files,  use our remcapture tool.  The way this works is that you take a baseline capture of the device when it is clean,  out of the box.  Then you install all of your software, change any settings on the device that you want to change, etc.  Then you take a second capture of the device. The tool builds a set of files/folders and a .reg and a .cpy file that you can copy to \application on the device(s) and this will copy all of the files into the correct places on cold boot and will also modify the registry as needed.  This does not install cab files,  it installs things file by file.  So it in installing the files that came in the cab file where they need to be on the device.  Cab files are not compressed on CE, so this will not take any more room on the device.

https://portal.zebra.com/Support/US-EN/Resolution?solutionId=88013&redirectForm=search&searchQuery=%3Fsearch…

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

SCOTT BENDURE
    Hi Dan,Thanks for the info -

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info - remcapture did the trick! You kinda wonder why there is no references to it in docs like MC909X Mobile Computer Integrator Guide and Developer Guide for Moto Devices.pdf.  And it looks like it's been around a while based on all the version upgrade.  Anyway - thanks tons!

Vote: 
    Vote up!
    Vote down!

You voted ‘up’