There is an easy to use demo application built into the OS to help you become familiar with and test the SimulScan functionality out of the box on our supported devices. For your convenience, the demo app includes multiple templates that have already been developed and can be used out of the box with the demo app. Please print the templates to use with the demo app. The two templates are attached below.
Postal/ T&L Form
Postal/ T&L Form.pdf
showcases Mixed Data Type Solutions:
to showcase Multi-Barcoding
- Detect the Presence of Signatures
- Simplify Workflows & Automate data entry with
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR).
- English, Spanish, German, French & Portuguese are supported
- Checked Fields via Optical Mark Recognition [OMR].
- Checkboxes, radio buttons & bubbles are supported
- Decode 4 Specific Barcodes in One Scan
- All the enterprise-grade barcode symbologies are supported. Symbologies and parameters configurable via an intuitive UI in the Template Builder. Please print out the .pdfs attached to this blog and try them out with the Showcase app.
- Real-time data processing on the device with no backend connectivity required
Create your own Template
Templates are the logic that SimulScan uses to defines what capture and how to capture them. Custom Templates can be made on our free, cloud-based tool located at SimulScan.Zebra.Com by logging in with your Zebra Employee or Partner Credentials. Once you have logged in, you will need to define what type of template, upload an image/pdf sample of one of your document labels and define the fields and corresponding processing types you need to match your workflow. Use the video tutorials section on Template Builder and watch how to create the template you need! Simply click the “Help” in the top tool bar and select “Video Tutorials”. Look for more tutorials as we cover other SimulScan features and add new ones!
Note: once created, the templates need to be deployed to your device(s). There are two ways to deploy the file to your device.
Side Load or
Push via MDM
Over Wifi for use with the Demo app or
for Programmatic access
- For use by DataWedge, push the templates to "/enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/templates" folder on the device using either ‘adb push’ or ‘USB sync’ or your preferred staging/MDM tool.
- For the Demo App to access the template, place the folder in the external storage folder, SimulScan, Templates folder (with ADB, push via "Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory()/simulscan/templates").
- On the TB, ensure that template is "Released" via settings menu and copy the template over to the "username\Release" folder.
- Launch the Demp app -> My template -> Select from server -> select the template. This will download the templates to the SimulScan Template folder in the external storage.
Test your Template on your Device
Once Created, you will want to test it out-- it's easy and can be done right through the Pre-Installed SimulScan Demo App , click here for step by step instructions.
As the Showcase app shows the results of the template, it can be leveraged to validate your template without writing a single line of code
Incorporate SimulScan within your Application
SimulScan is not a standalone app, it is a set of tools to be integrated into your native android application. Easily Integrate SimulScan into your native Android Application via DataWedge or EMDK. Watch the DevTalk on how to integrate
DataWedge for most solutions
- Simply create a DataWedge profile enabling SimulScan and select appropriate template
- Little coding, simple implementation
EMDK for Android for more complex use cases
- SimulScan API; each field in template correlates to a region
- Coding required, each API needed must be coded into application, complex implementation
- Sample App
SimulScan can be leveraged from within your application via EMDK for Android or DataWedge API’s. The template validated from Step 4 can be pointed to using DW and incorporated within your app. The complete operation of bringing up the camera, guiding the end-user through the capture and processing the data is abstracted within the SimulScan software. The UI is the exact same UI as seen in the Showcase App. All the user app needs to do is set the right template using DataWedge. Once captured and processed, the results are returned to the user-app correspondingly for the next level of processing – ex: form filling, inventory management etc.
All the processing is additionally performed locally on the device without requiring any online connectivity. It is up to the end-user app on how to handle the returned results as a name-value pair of the various data parsed.
Installing your license
After saving your custom template, SimulScan will notify you if it uses a premium feature and requires a license. Additionally, you can check out the Demo & Device Licensing Page to review the list of features, licensing, and minim engine requirements To request a Developer Test license to enable the SimulScan functionality and enable the programming interfaces on a device, please fill out the SimulScan License Request Form. Note: A License is not needed to test out any template, including those with premium features, when using the SimulScan Demo App.