In this blog, learn how to create Google Drive links that can be used in a StageNow profile for OS upgrades/downgrades on a Zebra device. The main advantage of this approach is that Google Drive offers 15GB of free storage which can be used to create internet-hosted staging profiles. GDrive also creates links which do not expire as described in this article from Williams College (https://oit.williams.edu/announcements/you-can-put-a-time-limit-on-shar… ) unless you specify an expiry date unlike other file storage providers such as Microsoft OneDrive (which only offers 5GB free storage without a subscription).
- Download the required OS update package from support.symbol.com
- Upload the ZIP file to Google Drive
- In Gdrive, from the menu seen when right clicking the file , create a link to the file via GetLink , select ‘Anyone with the link’ and copy link
- The format for exported link is similar to this (fileID is highlighted in yellow):
- Use the online converter here ( http://airsetup.uk/airsetup.uk/airbeam/zebra/webapps/gdriveconvert/ ) to paste the original URL and auto-convert to the new format
- Manually edit the link format to change it to the following (green highlighted text is the same for each file , just append the fileID highlighted in yellow )
- Create a StageNow profile using Xpert mode and add a FileMgr and PowerMgr step to the profile . In the FileMgr step , the modified link can be used directly in the FileMgr Source File URI field to access the file :
- As per the screenshot above, for convenience use the target path+filename /sdcard/Download/FullPackageUpdate.zip
- In the PowerMgr step, specify the package name and location in the filepath:
OS downgrade requires a different technique as the OS and LG package can be applied at the same time via a UPL script file which has to be located in /data/tmp/public
- Download the required OS downgrade package(s) from support.symbol.com
- Upload the ZIP file(s) to Google Drive and create the modified links as per the instructions in the upgrade section
- For an OS downgrade to A10 or earlier , a StageNow profile requires three or four steps (depending upon whether the Lifeguard patch is also applied at the same time):
- FileMgr step one contains the GDrive link to the base OS version ( in this case Android 10 16-10 U00) and the target location is /data/tmp/public with the same filename
- FIleMgr step two contains the GDrive link to the LG patch (in this case Android 10 16-10 U114) and the target location is /data/tmp/public with the same filename
- FIleMgr step three contains the GDrive link to the UPL file which is a simple text file containing the filename(s) of the packages to be applied :
Contents of osupdate.upl:
- PowerMgr contains the OSDowngrade action with the filename being the UPL file transferred in the previous step:
- After scanning the StageNow profile, the device should download the OS ZIP files and the UPL file and then apply the OS downgrade. Note that if a LifeGuard patch is not required, you can simplify the profile by following the same steps as for OS Upgrade above but change the PowerMgr action to OS Downgrade.
Note: If you are experiencing any problems with the formatting of this article, please refer to the PDF version which is attached.